Not homemade, but the best GF beer I've ever had

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noontime

Reaction score
I had a Green's Dubbel Dark Ale last night, and it is by far the best gluten free beer I have ever had. There's really nothing you can do to replace the mouthfeel so it was a tad thin and it was a little sweet, but great dark rich flavors.

greens small.jpg

If you think the dubbel is good, try the tripel. They are very good beers. I wish I could afford to buy them a sixer at a time. $5 a beer is a little steep, even for a pint. They are worth it. :tank:

The tripel is exactly what a tripel should be, and is one of the few GF beers that I can honestly say would please a non-GF drinker that likes Belgian tripels...but I prefer dubbels! :mug: Probably just because I like dark beers. But you're right, they are definitely too pricey for daily quaffing.

I love all three of their beers available in Texas. My non gf friends love them too, in fact one if my buds actually prefers greens over other beers

I just had one of these this past Saturday night. It was a very good beer. I'd drink it again. I tried two other brews they offer and found them almost undrinkable though.

This is by far my favorite OTC GF brew also, but it is a rare treat...at that price, I'm just going to go ahead and drink margaritas:). But then, that's why I home brew.

If you can find it Omission is a GF beer made with barley. Somehow they have a way to remove the gluten, so it tastes like 'real' beer. A girl I work with is GF and she told me about it, so I know it's not just me!
PS My chiropractor raves about Green's. I am too cheap - 6 bucks apiece is too rich for my blood.

I've had the Omission Pale Ale and Lager. They are honestly both really great beers! If you can err find any, get the pale ale!! My dad can drink a whole six pack of the stuff with no reaction whatsoever.

Omission is not gluten-free. The fact that they can label it as such in Oregon is a travesty, and the fact that they can't label it as gluten-free anywhere else doesn't stop bars and restaurants and grocery stores from selling it as such. At least half the people I know with a gluten sensitivity, including myself, react to it. Their process is not based on medical research at all, it's based on on exploiting a flaw in the main test for gluten used in the beverage industry. The fact that many people don't "react" to it doesn't mean anything other than a) people often mistakenly self-diagnose a gluten intolerance when another issue may be present, and b) that gluten intolerance is a spectrum of disorders, and the only way to ensure something is safe for *everyone* is to avoid using any gluten-containing ingredients at all.

I also think it's not a very good beer. The lager is generic, I could just as well drink Budweiser (I react about the same, since Bud is made with quite a bit of rice and is about as low in hordein as Omission), and the pale ale has a weird aftertaste that I really don't like. I'd prefer to drink Harvester, Steadfast, or even New Planet over Omission's Pale Ale, even if I didn't react to the Omission. Sadly, they are made by Widmer Bros., who are owned in part by a major brewing conglomerate with the distribution and marketing budget necessary to flood the market with their product and steal shelf-space from beers that are really gluten-free. There are few things in this world that make me as angry as Omission, but I am confident that in time, as research improves, it will finally come to light that they should not be legally allowed to sell this product as "gluten-free". Then they'll be kicked to the curb where they rightfully belong.

I agree with Iglashion, though with the choice between redbridge and omission I'd take the omission, or a cider! It does have a strange aftertaste to it, but again, redbridge is what I call sorghum water.

Wasn't meaning to say you won't react, but merely that he is diagnosed with an intolerance to gluten and does not react. Obviously, drink with caution!

OK, so Omission hit a sore spot with some one who knows far more than me...:( I do admit that it seems kinda shady making beer with barley and calling it GF, but I still don't know what Miller means when they call Miller Lite triple hops brewed. it still sucks.
There is a brewery here in Milwaukee called Sprecher, and they make a beer called Shakparo, made with sorghum and millet. While I'm not exacly an expert on GF beer (see previous Omission post!) I'm pretty sure this one counts. I prefer it to the others I have tried - New Grist, Redbridge (though New Planet's raspberry one was OK, but I'm sure it was the raspberries).
I'm not sure how easy it is to get outside WI but I'd be curious to hear others' opinions.

I LOVE a good rant. Especially when I agree 100% with it. Over here, the ever so wonderful European Parliament has allowed people selling de-Glutenised beer to sell it as Gluten Free, and people, including my own mother, falls for it. I have tried one of them. Estrella Daura. It tasted cheap like I find most 'normal' beers now, but also gave me a whopping headache. More than likely from the chemicals they use to try and get rid of the gluten. I may as well just drink 'normal' beer.. Ok, I don't know what is going on inside my body, and there are no clear signs like there would be if I ate some bread, but at least it wouldn't give me a chemical headache. The only beer I drink is mine. Without blowing my own trumpet, my beer tastes great and it won't potentially kill me or give me headaches. I know exactly what has gone into it, and it is the flavours I want. Educating my mother is a different matter. I am trying though by keeping her stocked with my beers so she doesn't go and buy some de-Glutenised crap. Time will tell.

I've always wanted to try Shakparo. As far as I can tell, that one is the real deal, but I've never seen it anywhere on the West Coast, or for purchase online either. IIRC it's based on an actual African recipe for sorghum beer, so is definitely a "different take" on gluten-free beer than what others are doing. Next time I'm in St. Paul visiting my sister, I'll have to see if I can track it down!

I'm from the Bay Area, so next time I visit I'll see if I can bring some with.
I don't know if it's available outside WI, but la Crosse is a short hop from the Twin Cities, and it's worth it.

Back