Basic 3 tier wood gravity fed brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdog101

Reaction score
I spent many hours looking at all of the builds on the forum and decided to dip my toes into the build pool. I wanted to start off basic and cheap, knowing that down the road I will take it 5 steps beyond. This project involved $20 in wood (8-2x4 studs), $20 in paint (primer and flat black exterior paint), $10 in casters, and scrap plywood I had left over from remodel projects. I left the studs on the top tier tall in cast I wanted to put some type of guard for my pot, but I don't think I'll need to. I have high temp paint for spots near the flame, but it hasn't been necessary so far. Now I need to add a 5th tap to the kegerator.

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

pic 1.jpg

Nice! Now you could add some slide out shelves for a grain mill, scale, etc.

BTW- I usually see all wood or all metal structures. Did you consider using metal under and over the parts near burners and wood for everything else?

I have some metal flashing I may add if the heat affects the wood, but so far everything seems to be good.

Very nice!

Ive been tossing around this idea but I am so paranoid about the flame being (in my opinion) so close to the wood, but I see so many people pulling this off with zero issues.

My fryer is so low to the ground it just gets me antsy. I am thinking Ill end up buying 2 newer aka higher off the ground ones and make a build from there.

:mug: on your build!

Any chance to get dimensions on yours? It looks exactly what I'd like to put together.

Thanks!

I started by building the base 24"x72". I put the 4 2x4x96" on one end for the tall shelf, but didn't cut so I can adjust the height for future upgrades (hopefully all electric). Next I measured the height of the top of my boil kettle and made the first shelf a few inches taller. Then I measured the height to the top of the mash tun and put the hlt shelf a few inches higher than that.
It isn't the prettiest with the long 2x4's, but it gives me flexibility down the road. So overall dimensions are 24"w x 72"l x 58"h without the wheels.
Your height will depend on the kettles and mash tun you are using.

Something that I have learned with my 3 tier system is the need for a heat barrier between the hot liquor burner and mash tun. I melted the side of my mash tun partially from the heat transfer. Otherwise, looks good!

Something that I have learned with my 3 tier system is the need for a heat barrier between the hot liquor burner and mash tun. I melted the side of my mash tun partially from the heat transfer. Otherwise, looks good!

Hmm. that's a good point. Will need to figure out how to insulate it from the heat, as I plan on using a cooler as well.

Anyone have any ideas with this kind of setup?

With each level being 24x24 I am able to move the cooler far enough away that it doesn't even get warm. If it ever does get warm I will put up a heat shield.

Almost ready to brew... Thanks to JDog101 for the inspiration and the info. Thanks to Home Depot, Highland Brewing, and Keystone Homebrew for all of the pieces and parts...

And thanks to my Dad for passing on just a little bit of his woodworking genes...:D

Next is adding some plywood to one of the sides for the options...

2013-03-23 16.12.34.jpg

2013-03-23 16.13.13.jpg

I'm in the process of designing a similar setup, I thought about using angle iron but it's costly and I don't' have the proper tools to cut it, so going with the much cheaper wood alternative.

MikeyLikesIt70, what kind of material is the green "heat shield" on the bottom tier? I've been looking for something similar and after reading this thread I also think I need to protect my MLT from the top burner, never thought about it!

I'm in the process of designing a similar setup, I thought about using angle iron but it's costly and I don't' have the proper tools to cut it, so going with the much cheaper wood alternative.

MikeyLikesIt70, what kind of material is the green "heat shield" on the bottom tier? I've been looking for something similar and after reading this thread I also think I need to protect my MLT from the top burner, never thought about it!

It's a thin diamond plate that was powdercoated. I ordered it from eBay, and was able to give them specific measurements on how I wanted it cut. The seller's name is ssshapirometal. I did .045 thickness to make sure it would be easy to drill and mount. I plan on adding some plastic liner to the shelf with the mash tun to keep the wood from getting wet. I'm messy...:cross:

I like the set and the wheels. My brew set up is much the same, I think I will steal the idea but make a two tier and put my stove on the ground then just roll it away after mashing and sparging. wouldn't have to worry about the heat then.

I like the set and the wheels. My brew set up is much the same, I think I will steal the idea but make a two tier and put my stove on the ground then just roll it away after mashing and sparging. wouldn't have to worry about the heat then.

No problems with the heat. The Blichmann burners stand high enough that the heat wasn't a problem. But I do need to add a method to get it cooled with my plate chiller and not my coil. I had to carry the pot into the house to chill it. That will wear out quick...

MikeyLikesIt70, wanted to ask was there a big price difference in getting that diamond plate custom cut? I'm thinking about buying one of those for my build to protect my mash tun cooler from my burner. they look awesome!

MikeyLikesIt70, wanted to ask was there a big price difference in getting that diamond plate custom cut? I'm thinking about buying one of those for my build to protect my mash tun cooler from my burner. they look awesome!

No, there wasn't a difference. I found the size close to what I needed, and in the notes told them the exact size I wanted.

Good luck!

Hmm. that's a good point. Will need to figure out how to insulate it from the heat, as I plan on using a cooler as well.

Anyone have any ideas with this kind of setup?

Although its by far not the best option nor the most pleasing on the eyes. Walmart has cookie sheets for .92 cents that I use to shield my Mash tun from the burner of my HLT. Down the road I plan to get some good looking aluminum to do it, but money is tight for projects right now.

the second pic is the new ones I got, they're a lotta bit thinner, but easier to work with, and don't look as much like you put a cookie sheet on your setup! they're drip pans for your stove a 2 pack is .97 cents

DSCF8146.jpg

DSCF8152.jpg

thanks for the info. i added a piece today, worth the $30 to get a cool looking piece to shield my MLT, esp since the rest of my rig was prob under $100, i'm hoping to post pics soon gotta work it on more tomorrow

Latest posts

Back