What's the easiest way to add fruit extract to secondary before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyhamer

Reaction score
As stated in the title. I don't use a bottling bucket so will be bottling directly from secondary. Does anyone have a good technique for mixing their fruit extract without introducing oxygen?

I'm thinking of pouring it through the airlock hole and giving it a gentle swirl. Hopefully it's all co2 and no o2 in there.

I've never added fruit extract at bottling, but what you have planned seems alright to me. I think you could just mix it with the priming solution and give the beer a gentle swirl in the bottling bucket. As long as you aren't stirring vigorously I don't think you'll get a lot of oxidation.

If you are bottling, you can just add it the same way you will add the priming sugar. Remember CO2 is heavier than air, so even if you open the lid of a fermenting bucket, the bucket will 'hold' the co2 inside (providing minimal air turbulence). Also, if you are bottling, you will already be introducing a bit of oxygen to the top layer, which is just a product of the process. It's not much to worry about since it's going right into the bottle and being sealed.

If you are in a carboy, even better. Those do a great job of holding the CO2. You can just pop out the rubber stopper & airlock and pour it. You may have to be creative with mixing it while not disturbing any sediment/yeast that have fallen out depending on how long you have been in secondary. Cheers!

it's alot easier to do it from a racking bucket.....but if you have to dump some in but then taste it....i'd recommend dumping 1/2 what they recommend and taste it.....then you can adjust from there. It's stronger than you think and you can always add some but can't take it away.

Back