Weird OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvanLouis

Reaction score
I did an attempt at a poor mans mash last night but never got a decent reading. My malt bill:
2lbs malted/toasted buckwheat
1lb toasted oats
2lb toasted millet
1lb malted toasted quinoa

I bought a mini cooler and heated up water to around 170/80, poured it in, submerged a nylon bag of all my grains (psuedocereals) and covered it for 45min.
Poured it out and kept that spattered water in case the whole thing was a flop. I took a gravity reading but there wasn't anything, so I repeated the process twice and got nothing. So I figured I had done nothing more than really intensely steeped grains so I just used the experiment as my boil water and added my fermentables, hops, flavorings and took another reading before pitching: 1.1! I've gotten this reading twice now, am I reading it wrong? I don't think so. The hydrometer was sitting pretty high in the water. Anyways, it smells great and is developing a great krausen already

Recipe would help. Were the grains malted and crushed? Add any enzymes? Check for temperature correction? The grains may have just added a bunch of starch to the wort. If you measured the gravity after the mash and it was above 100F, it is a uselessly low reading.

I should learn to read. I see that they were malted. Toasting them reduces the available enzymes. Anyway, recipe would be a start.

Malt bill previously stated.

2lbs rice syrup solids
3lbs sorghum malt extract (flameout)
1oz Fuggles (60min)
1oz cascade (60min)
1oz Chinook (10min)

4oz maltodextrin (10min)
1/2 oz bitter orange (15)
1/2 oz sweet orange (15)
1oz coriander (15)

1 whirlfloc (10)
1 yeast nutrient (15)

Danstar Nottingham

As I'm writing this I realize I was only going to use a 1/2 oz of Chinook, oh well, it'll be a hoppy summer.

No enzymes added. I meant to buy amylase but forgot to add it to the list. Buckwheat was not crushed as last time I crushed a few groats and they turned to powder in my hand

5 gallon batch. Chilled wort to 80 and added cold water to lower temp hopefully around 75 and pitched yeast.

Not sure. I punched the numbers. You would have to have gotten insane efficiency to get those numbers. You will be able to tell at bottling time. If it has a real intense alcohol bite, you will know you managed to get 1.100.

Haha. I got that number in my last batch. It was certainly potent, but not insane. However, today I took a reading (2 1/2 days later) and got 1.03. Does that sound better? It looks and tastes like a nut brown ale right now. Lots of sediment though. Prob gonna have to secondary this one

That's really fast fermentation; 1.100 to 1.030. It is possible but, it isn't likely. That would be close to max attenuation. Depending on yeast. The final gravity should paint a better picture. I'm thinking your OG might be closer to 1.070.

Back