Pliny question on flameout hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddiebosox

Reaction score
So I brewed my first pliny this weekend and had a question. I was using my blichmann pot with my new Hopblocker, and when it came time to do the flameout additions (3 ounces of Columbus) I realized that I couldn’t do a whirpool with a bag with 3 ounces of hops in there (plus the hopblocker makes it hard too, but that's another thread). I waited a few minutes and took it out, so the contact time of the flameout hops was just a few minutes. Will this affect the final beer? Less aroma and hop flavor?

In short, yes - less aroma, less flavor compared to a normal whirlpool process. The alternative would have been a "hop stand". ie dropping the temp to about 180 and letting them steep.

In short, yes - less aroma, less flavor compared to a normal whirlpool process. The alternative would have been a "hop stand". ie dropping the temp to about 180 and letting them steep.

+1. They just had an article on this in the last BYO magazine.

Thanks. Ill just up the dry hops a bit to try and compensate, even though thats mostly aroma.

anyone ever dry hop in the keg with this one?

I actually just tapped my first Pliny brew last Saturday, the first beer I kegged. When I brewed it, I used the hopstand method for the flameout hops and let it sit for 30 min. As far as dry hopping goes, I did my first dry hop addition after transferring to a secondary carboy. I added 75% of the dry hops to the secondary and let it sit a week. When I kegged it, I put the remaining 25% of dry hops in a sanitized stainless steel tea ball and dropped it in the keg. I pressurized and let the keg sit a week at serving pressure. In the first pour I got a miniscule amount of hop debris, but that was the only pour affected by dry hopping in the keg so far. The hop smell coming from this beer is amazing!

I am getting a lot more hop aroma from the two beers I have used the hopstand method with. I will be doing it for all my hoppy beers. I will probably be trying out a 10-15 min hop stand with all my other beers.

I actually just tapped my first Pliny brew last Saturday, the first beer I kegged. When I brewed it, I used the hopstand method for the flameout hops and let it sit for 30 min. As far as dry hopping goes, I did my first dry hop addition after transferring to a secondary carboy. I added 75% of the dry hops to the secondary and let it sit a week. When I kegged it, I put the remaining 25% of dry hops in a sanitized stainless steel tea ball and dropped it in the keg. I pressurized and let the keg sit a week at serving pressure. In the first pour I got a miniscule amount of hop debris, but that was the only pour affected by dry hopping in the keg so far. The hop smell coming from this beer is amazing!

I am getting a lot more hop aroma from the two beers I have used the hopstand method with. I will be doing it for all my hoppy beers. I will probably be trying out a 10-15 min hop stand with all my other beers.

SO when you say hop-stand, you mean flame-out hops, and you just whirlpool and let it sit for 30 minutes before transferring?

Do yourself a favor and ditch the hop bags...nothing good can come from using them.

I dont know who started this fallacy, but how it has become so pervasive is beyond me.

Do yourself a favor and ditch the hop bags...nothing good can come from using them.

I dont know who started this fallacy, but how it has become so pervasive is beyond me.

I considered it but this was a Pliny clone, which is a **** ton of hops and it was my first go around with my new hop blocker. I wasn't thinking and forgot that I was going to whirlpool.

Yes, Ive made a pliny clone, and beers with even more hops...Bags decrease utilization, plain and simple. I don't care how many people swear they don't.

"SO when you say hop-stand, you mean flame-out hops, and you just whirlpool and let it sit for 30 minutes before transferring?"

Pretty much. It's just basically recreating the conditions in a whirlpool - extended contact time at a less than boiling temp.

Yes. I killed the heat, added my flame-out hops, stirred for a few minutes, and let it sit for 30 min. After the 30 minutes I chilled and transferred it.

Some folks chill it some before adding the flame-out hops. As this was my first time, I just killed the heat so it wasn't a boil and added the flame-out hops. This month's BYO outlines the different temperature ranges folks have been using with their hop-stands.

So I am using a hop spider, not because I love building things out of PVC, but because the hop matter blocked my plate chiller. If you aren't using a hop blocker of any kind, you must not be using a plate chiller - so what are you using for chilling?

Back