Basic Basic APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bannerj

Reaction score
First all grain recipe. Going for 3lb BIAB while I learn the basics

6 lbs 2 row
6.4 40L
4.2 Cara-Pils

.5 Centennial 60 min
.25 Cascade 15 min
.25 Cascade 0

1 pkt US-05

33.7 IBUs
5.2% abv
6.4 SRM

Would love feedback!

Looks good. I think I would use a little Simcoe verses the Cascade. Change it up from the basic C's.

And if it doesnt turn out like you want...you got the practice of brewing and the ability to tweak! But still a very good laydown for an APA.

Congrats on your first AG!

I've planted some crowns of galena, chinook, cascade, willamete and santiam. They are mature enough to give me usable hops this season. So, after trying a couple very experimental partial mash brews, I'm looking for a very cost effective way to dive into AG.

The idea is to keep the hops the same in 3-4 3gal batches while tweaking the grains. Then use the favored grain bill in the fall with different configs of these hops.

I might just go all cascade with the hops...I'm really into citrus for aroma and flavoring.

Can't go wrong with cascade in an APA. I would probably use a known alpha % pellet hop for the bittering addition and then the homegrown hops for the 15 and 0 addition. Will give you a better chance at accurately hitting your IBUs

Back