Brett IPA anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redlantern

Reaction score
Looking at using Brett in an IPA. OYL-210 (Where da Funk?) seems to be a good choice. Any one with experience with this or similar?

Bump

No takers? Not trying to be provocative, just curious about the concept. Seems that with support form wheat/oats for mouth feel, this could work.

I guess I will have to just do it and see what I get.

Made an all brett ipa with that yeast earlier this year. Very tasty. Really no funk. Just nice fruity/tropical flavors. I think I used citra, mosaic, and centennial. Almost all the hops were during whirlpool and dry hopping. Low IBU, maybe 50, didn't taste bitter at all. Recall using a bit more wheat than my usual IPA recipe.

Thanks to both of you.

Probably start with a oat/wheat loaded pale first so I don't waste a crap-ton of hops on the first go.

I recently made a hoppy spelt saison with OYL-218 and it came out pretty great. Loads of pineapple and tropical stone fruit, some tartness and a dry finish that belies the 1.010 FG. My only word of caution is prepare yourself for a thin mouthfeel. Brettanomyces doesn't produce glycerol like Saccharomyces, and will taste quite thin if you don't employ a substantial amount of adjunct and high mash temperatures (not super sure about the mash temperature). I used 20% spelt and 4% GNO, mashed at 154F and still don't have the same fluffy mouthfeel as my normal NEIPA.

It does look quite lovely.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1478343040.437548.jpg

Are you using both Brett and Sacc or Brett only? They end up with quite different results.

Back