tell me about your experiences with mosaic hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
I've never used mosaic hops and want to know what others have done with them. How many were used, when they were used and if they are a favorite. Cheers

My friend did a single-hop Mosaic IPA, and while I only had a small sample of it, I'm a fan! Awesome flavor, kind of a combo of everything - citrus, tropical, grape/wine, juicy and a little floral. I'm hoping to do a Mosaic brew this summer just because of a little taste.

i made an all mosaic pale ale and loved it. they are a daughter to simcoe hops so some of the same aroma and flavor is there but it is different in good ways.

I made a very simple DIPA:

1oz Magnum (60)
1oz Mosaic (20)
2oz Mosaic (10)
1oz Mosaic (0)
3oz Mosaic (Dry Hop)

Opened my first bottle last night after a week of carbonation: it's amazing. A little earthy-piney a la simcoe at first, super tropical at the end. Very tropical actually, juicy, sticky, similar to Citra but much more powerful and complex, and fruity again!
I can see why they called it Mosaic. This hop doesn't need company in a beer.

I made a very simple DIPA:

1oz Magnum (60)
1oz Mosaic (20)
2oz Mosaic (10)
1oz Mosaic (0)
3oz Mosaic (Dry Hop)

Opened my first bottle last night after a week of carbonation: it's amazing. A little earthy-piney a la simcoe at first, super tropical at the end. Very tropical actually, juicy, sticky, similar to Citra but much more powerful and complex, and fruity again!
I can see why they called it Mosaic. This hop doesn't need company in a beer.

Sweet. I was going to dry hop with citra but now i feel i just have to go all mosaic to see how it tastes for real.

I did a Pale Ale using Citra in the boil and dry-hopped w/ Mosaic. This beer came out so awesome that I plan to make the next 2 batches the same way. Even the brewmaster at a local brewery was really impressed with it. All this and I did it with extract as I haven't invested in the equipment to go AG

Do it. I dry hop with citra all the time. Mosaic is better.

Im a huge citra fan. I don't know if there could be a better tasting hop for me. But if one should arise to the challenge, ill be ready. I hope its mosaic. The more "in your face" tropical/ citrus the better.

I did a Citra IPA Clone a few months ago and my LHBS was out of amarillo, so I used Mosaic as a substitute. The final product came out absolutely delicious.

Just kegged a Golden Promise / Mosaic SMaSH. Came out really nice. I like Mosaic a lot. Very universal hop.

Here is the link to the recipe I used. Citra Double IPA (clone) - Kern River Brewing Company (CYBI Podcast version)

I modified it as follows.

Grain
14# Pale Malt 2 Row
13Oz Cara-Pils/Dextrin
13Oz Caramel/Crystal 10
13Oz Munich
6Oz Honey
6Oz White Wheat

Hops
1Oz Nugget @ 60 min
1Oz Citra @ 30 min
1Oz Mosaic @ 30 min
1Oz Citra @ 15 min
1Oz Mosaic @ 15 min
1Oz Citra @ 5 min
1 Wirlfloc Tablet @ 10 min
Completely did away with all dry hopping

Yeast 2 vials Whitelab East Coast Ale (As I don't have the equipment to do starters right now)

It turned out wonderful. The hops balance with malt flavors extremely well while still producing a highly hoppy beer.

I modified the hops because the original recipe basically produce a citra blast and I wanted to bring a bit more complexity to the hop flavors with the grain bill being as it is. I went to the LHBS wanting amarillo, but they didn't have any. I thought about using simcoe or centennial as a substitute, and the guy at the shop mentioned the mosaic which I had never heard of before. I went for it and was not disappointed.
And yes, I did use the East Coast Ale yeast on purpose.

Here is the link to the recipe I used. Citra Double IPA (clone) - Kern River Brewing Company (CYBI Podcast version)

Grain
14# Pale Malt 2 Row
13Oz Cara-Pils/Dextrin
13Oz Caramel/Crystal 10
13Oz Munich
6Oz Honey
6Oz White Wheat

Hops
1Oz Nugget @ 60 min
1Oz Citra @ 30 min
1Oz Mosaic @ 30 min
1Oz Citra @ 15 min
1Oz Mosaic @ 15 min
1Oz Citra @ 5 min

Yeast 2 vials Whitelab East Coast Ale (As I don't have the equipment to do starters right now)

It turned out wonderful. The hops balance with malt flavors extremely well while still producing a highly hoppy beer.

I modified the hops because the original recipe basically produce a citra blast and I wanted to bring a bit more complexity to the hop flavors with the grain bill being as it is. I went to the LHBS wanting amarillo, but they didn't have any. I thought about using simcoe or centennial as a substitute, and the guy at the shop mentioned the mosaic which I had never heard of before. I went for it and was not disappointed.

Interesting grain bill. Why do you say "i used the ECA yeast on purpose"? what would be wrong with it?

I said I used East Coast Ale on purpose simply because I don't think that is really a standard for IPAs.

I guess I was more being preemptively defensive which probably wasn't necessary. Funny you caught and called me out on it.

Grain
14# Pale Malt 2 Row
13Oz Cara-Pils/Dextrin
13Oz Caramel/Crystal 10
13Oz Munich
6Oz Honey
6Oz White Wheat

Hops
1Oz Nugget @ 60 min
1Oz Citra @ 30 min
1Oz Mosaic @ 30 min
1Oz Citra @ 15 min
1Oz Mosaic @ 15 min
1Oz Citra @ 5 min

I really want to do an IPA with Mosaic/Citra combo similar to this. ..I made a few Smash IPAs one with Maris and another with 2-row using Mosaic and the result was decent. I think Mosaic is an excellent hop but it needs something else to carry it. I just did a Simcoe/Mosaic combo this past weekend so I will see how this turns out. I also really want to do a Nelson/Citra/Mosaic combo in the near future.

How would this hop work in an American Strong Pale Ale? I am really interested by this hop and want to feature it in my next brew. If nothing else I will just do an APA.

How would this hop work in an American Strong Pale Ale? I am really interested by this hop and want to feature it in my next brew. If nothing else I will just do an APA.

Just transferred an all mosaic pale ale to the keg. I like the hop but it didn't blow me away like citra did the first time i used that. It has a familiar aroma that i cant quite pin point. So tropical it almost seems fake to me. I would use this hop again but in small amount, as an accent to another hop combinations.

My mosaic DIPA (more info in the first page of this thread) is still amazing! It was at its best at week 2 to 3. Now it's been a month in bottles, and it still surely does kick asses. It has flavour and aroma that get comments ranging from wow to wtf.
I have to say that the freshest fruit notes that were there the first weeks (melon peach and graperuit) fade out quite a bit but the complexity is even more powerful now, a bit more on the earthy side. I did taste some liquorice today, which I hate, but it was very subtle. Still tons of tropical flavours and sweet blueberry. This hop is a blast.

Back