Should I ferment my apfelwein at 78 or 55?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHound12

Reaction score
I'm moving out of my current house and taking my swamp cooler with me. I just threw together a batch of apfelweing today and will be leaving it here. My two possible fermentation temperatures are 78 (room temp in florida) or in a wine cellar at 55. Which do you think would give me better results? Also would 3-4 months be too long to leave it in primary? Thanks!

** I'm using the red star yellow packet pasteur champagne yeast**

Not sure about temps, but I have been reading up on doing one myself and it seems more time the better and months are best.

Ya I'm definitely planning on aging it for a while but I just wanted to make sure it would be safe to leave it in primary for that long. I'm not a huge fan of secondarying. I just need some advice on what temp would be the best of the worst haha

I don't think there is a wrong answer here. Personally I would do the wine cellar at 55 just to maintain a steady temp. What is the temp range for your yeast?

I have made it at 75-80 degree temps before for 2 months and it was delicious. Have not yet made any at 55. I just leave it be at room temp for as long as it takes to empty the last keg of it and it seems happy.

Ok thanks I think I'm gonna just keep it at room temp I've found an area in my house that may keep it closer to the low 70's

Temp range for that strain should be 59-86F
I would leave it at room temp as to avoid a stuck fermentation on your return.

Just a question...
Are you not selling the house? Reason for the 4 month return??

I've been living at home for the past year while I applied to medical school. I was accepted and am actually starting med school tomorrow which is the reason for the move. So I left it at my parents house and plan on going home in a few months with an empty keg and my racking cane to retrieve it!!

I strongly suggest you use a blowoff tube "whatever your head space is"!

My advice is not even about getting a foamed airlock (which is a good enough reason) but more about your airlock "drying out" and leaving you with a nice air passage... I'd shove that blowoff tube into a deep enough water jug to prevent any chance of evaporation...

Personally I'd wrap it in a couple of blankets to keep the heat as much as you can while in the wine cellar. Should manage decent temps for most of the active primary while the yeast is heating and let it cool to 55 once it slows down. You should also get less adverse effects from letting it sit for so long in primary if temps are colder.

(I'd be surprised temps would go too high during active fermentation from blankets in a 55 degrees wine cellar)...

Back