WLP670, how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiroux

Reaction score
So i'm brewing a kind-of saison with WLP670. In fact, the base beer looks like an orval recipe (non-negligeable amounts of caramunich and caravienna, lots of Styrian, etc...).

Also, the beer will be aged with Oak chips soak in apple cider, then apple brandy (for several weeks now).

OG will be around 1060.

How long should I let the brett work in secondary? And how long should I let the chips in? Maybe should I put just a bit of them, and then Add some more after few weeks if I feel that the flavor doesn't come through?

Every time I have used it I've gone 2-6 months. Here's what I said in another thread about it: I've done it as short as 2 months and as long as 6 months, all in the primary fermenter. After a month it still tastes fairly saisony, but there is ever so slight funk in the nose, sort of foreshadowing what's ahead. Between month one and two the brett modestly starts to make itself known. Funk flavor starts to catch up with aroma. By month 6 the brett has taken over the flavor and aroma with some moderate residual spice from the Sacch strain left over as well as some decent bitterness still there. Clarity stays cloudy for about a month, then it becomes crystal clear overnight without any sort of fining agents. I'd love to take it longer, but I get so thirsty.

thanks for the reply.

If I plan to bottle condition it, and let age some bottles, i must wait at least a good 3 months and use maybe 2/3 of normal priming sugar, so I don't have exploding or gushing bottles in 6 months after bottling?

There will be 6% of both caramunich and caravienna in the recipe (so 12% cara malts total) and a a sacch rest at 151F, so there will be a fair amount of dextrins for the brett to eat.

Someone else will have to help you out with the bottling. I've never bottled any of my brett beers.

I asked out at white labs and they told me at least 2-3 months and use less bottling sugar.

Back