Shipping Wild Rhizomes (and sexing them)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoHawk

Reaction score
I have a bunch of wild hops that I discovered growing around my house last year. I've transplanted some of them to a better location, and I'm attempting to tame the rest of the wild ones in their current location. But I was chatting with a college buddy who also brews, and he was jealous of my wild hops. He has a few commercial varieties started, but wanted some wild ones, too. Is it too late to dig up rhizomes? He thinks so, but the ones I transplanted last year were moved around this time, and they're growing fine.

Is it too late to dig up rhizomes/young bines? How would I ship them to keep them alive? Just stick the rhizome in a plastic bag with some wet dirt?

Also, from what I've been reading, you can't sex a bine until it flowers. Is this true? I'd like to make sure I'm sending my buddy female plants. He's willing to risk getting a boy, but I'd like to minimize that if possible. Any hope of sexing young bines?

It's not too late as there's still probably a bunch of dormant buds that will emerge over the next few months. I would try to find a shoot coming from the terminal point of one of the rhizomes and dig it back toward the crown. If you dig pretty deep you'll be able to save some of the roots which will help stack the deck in your favor.

Shipping rhizomes is actually pretty easy. Once dug, you want to try to get them in the fridge as soon as possible in some sort of zip lock type bag. No real need for soil or moist paper towels because they have moisture in them and the atmosphere inside the bag will kinda stabilize once they give up a little of their moisture. If you'd like to add a handful of compost to create a 'nice touch', have at it.

I've not seen any way to determine the sex prior to flowering but it's pretty easy to tell the difference between male/female once they begin to show. If it's a boy, just yank it out and be done with it if you're concerned.

I have a bunch of wild hops that I discovered growing around my house last year. I've transplanted some of them to a better location, and I'm attempting to tame the rest of the wild ones in their current location. But I was chatting with a college buddy who also brews, and he was jealous of my wild hops. He has a few commercial varieties started, but wanted some wild ones, too. Is it too late to dig up rhizomes? He thinks so, but the ones I transplanted last year were moved around this time, and they're growing fine.

Is it too late to dig up rhizomes/young bines? How would I ship them to keep them alive? Just stick the rhizome in a plastic bag with some wet dirt?

Also, from what I've been reading, you can't sex a bine until it flowers. Is this true? I'd like to make sure I'm sending my buddy female plants. He's willing to risk getting a boy, but I'd like to minimize that if possible. Any hope of sexing young bines?

NoHawk, I'd be interested in seeing any images you've taken or have available. I'd also be interested in any materials you can provide if that is still an option. Feel free to PM or e-mail me and I'd be more than happy to explain my interests.

Back