Brewed and it's bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday was the day. I used the BIAB method cutting the 11.5 gallon recipe somewhat in half for Cream of Three Crops
6#'s of 2row
2#'s of flaked corn
1/2# of Minute Rice
1/2 oz of Hallertauer
1/2 oz of Cascade

Mashed grains in 7.5 gallons of 150f water for 90 mins, mashed out @ 170 for 10 minutes and then proceeded with the normal boil process.
OG was @ 1.056(kinda high?) I tasted it before I pitched the yeast and it tasted very sweet and very bitter. I'm concerned about the bitterness. Will it go away or should I dry hop? and what hop should I use......

Definitely wait, the taste will change drastically. Though a lot of beers that were bitter in the beginning for me were also bitter at the end especially pils type beers. If you continually have bitterness issues your water may be the issue. I found that was my issue and switched to building my own from distilled or RO water.

I think you will be fine, I have tasted a couple of my brews after boil, when cooled and the bitterness comes through super hard, not sure why, but I know it tastes much better (like a beer should) after fermentation and carbing.....

Latest posts

Back