Witbier Recipe.. Opinions? Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewster_mpa

Reaction score
I'm making my first Witbier and just bought the ingredients. I wanted to see if the changes I made will still qualify it as a Witbier. Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated. Would it be too bitter or dark?

I took an extract recipe for an Allagash White clone and tweaked it to include some grains and with what my LHBS had. Here we go..

Here's the original recipe. It's the first one on this link.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/need-good-belgian-wit-recipe-extract-based-104220/

Here is mine.
6.6 Briess Golden Light LME
1# Red Wheat
.5# C-10

1 oz. Tettnanger (60 minutes)
3/4 oz. Saaz (60 minutes)
1/4 oz. Saaz (flameout)
1/4 oz. crushed coriander (flameout)
1/4 oz. bitter orange peel (flameout)

WhiteLabs WLP410

I'm about to transfer in a day or so. Anyone decide if this is still a Witbier? Or did I create some new and strange beer?

Well, it does have some wheat, but don't know if it really qualifies as a witbeer. Normally, the wheat/barley ratio is around 50/50, give or take. I've done an extract with a 40/60 ratio, but the one thing I found out was that even with late extract additions, the color just won't be right (too dark). But, flavor-wise, it will still taste like one. I just popped a bottle a couple of weeks ago that I did back last fall, and it was really tasty, much better than blue moon, but was quite dark for the style. I just did a Hoegaarden clone that was 45% Belgian Pils, 30% white wheat malt, and 25% Flaked wheat...and the color is spot on to Hoegarrden. Just kegged it yesterday, and the sample tasted damn close as well.

I'd say it's more wit-inspired. Crystal is out-of-place in a wit (color and flavor are not to style). The golden light LME is too dark as a base. You would need quite a lot more wheat.

Also, wheat is not a steeping grain. Did you do a mini-mash?

This one may not be to style, but if you like it, who cares? :)

I suggest checking out the the mini-mash recipe in Brewing Classic Styles if you want to get closer to style.

Edit: also, hops are not typically used late in a wit. They are only really used to lend a small amount of bitterness.

Kcbeersnob, I steeped the red wheat and a simple sparge. I was told by my LHBS it was fine for steeping, but I guess not.

Either way, thanks for the input from both of you. I'd agree that it's not a spot-on Witbier, but it's an interesting take on one. I'm bottling today, I'll update in two weeks.

It's early, but the beer is carbonated and tastes amazing. Still needs some time to settle out. It is exactly what I thought, tastes just like a witbier but the color is darker. it has a bit of a, but not overwhelming in any sense, malty backbone. Highly recommended for anyone!

Thanks for everyone's input! I'll be serving another batch of this up for my wedding in October.

Glad things worked out. When you brew it again, you may want to try wheat DME and add 2/3 of it at 15 min. That will lighten things up and give you the percentage of wheat you are looking for (it usually comes 60/40).

Back