Defect in my carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBaGZ

Reaction score
So I was just cleaning a carboy to get ready to transfer and dry hop an IPA and I noticed two little tits inside that I never noticed before. I am not sure what they could be from. Obviously it is from manufacturing, but I don't know why. Should I retire this thing? I have had an infection before, but I don't remember if it was in this carboy or not. Do you think the star San is getting in there good enough?

image-133248.jpg

I wouldn't use it. eventually you're going to snap them off with a brush.

Is it new enough to return?

I would also say to retire it. Yes, the Star San might be getting in there but who knows what particles that you can't see are sticking behind.

It's fine, I have seen dozens like that. It's from the mold. It isn't a crack.

Right, I know it's not a crack. I was just worried about there being a hiding spot for little filthies to hide.

If those spikes are protruding far enough that there's a remote chance that they could snap off, I'd retire it. If they won't snap off, then they can be cleaned and sanitized.

Back