Blackberry dunkelweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeard

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So, I asked my SWMBO what sort of beer she wants me to make next, and she said that she wants me to make a dark, roasty fruit beer. Now, I tried to explain to her that summertime isn't exactly dark roasty beer season, and that I was originally planning on brewing a light drinkable peach/apricot wheat beer next.

I was wondering though, if anyone has ever tried making a blackberry/blueberry dunkelweizen, as this sort of beer might satisfy A) my desire to make a lighter-bodied, more drinkable beer, and B) my SWMBO's thirst for something dark, roasty, and fruity?

Never made a wheat beer of any sort before, but just wanted to know whether the community thought that a blackberry dunkel sounds good or weird / not really to style.

I think it definitely sounds kinda weird. But when I imagine the flavor I think it might be pretty tasty. But more of a fall winter sort of drink. On the subject of the apricot peach wheat, throw in some orange peel at the end of the boil and you can call it a fizzy navel!

yeah, I wasn't too sure about the blackberry dunkel... I mean it doesn't sound BAD really, but I suppose at worst it would just be a severe adulteration of the style and pretty much no matter what I will get a beer that tastes like blackberries.

Back