Natural Carb in Keg - Seal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnelson1025

Reaction score
So I’ve decided to start naturally carbing my kegs, because it seems like I use a ton of gas when force carbing, and it’s quite a trek to get my tank refilled.

Question about natural carbing – after I add the priming sugar and beer, I close up the keg and hit it with some CO2 to seal it. I just recently did this with an amber rye ale I made, and two weeks later, the beer is flat (I ran out of my gose, I had to tap it). When carbing “naturally” and sealing the lid with CO2, can the beer absorb the extra CO2 forced in and “unseal” the keg? I ask because it seems like this is what just happened with my amber rye.

Thanks for the help.

That method should work, I do it for spare kegs as I keep my C02 tank in the kegerator with no room to spare ( :( )

A couple questions,

-Did you hit the keg with a high psi (30+) to seal the lid?
-Did you check for any leaks with star san/soapy water before walking away?
-Did you apply keg lube to all the gaskets?

The initial high shot of pressure should be enough to keep things sealed while the sugar + yeast generate their own natural C02.

Back