Bentonite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewsterbud

Reaction score
I've tried looking things up on bentonite but haven't got far, what is it what is it for? Does it change the flavor? Is it just bentonite clay?

I've tried looking things up on bentonite but haven't got far, what is it what is it for? Does it change the flavor? Is it just bentonite clay?

Yes, it's a clay. It binds to debris/solids in the wine and pulls them down to the bottom to help clear the wine. I almost never use it, but I have in the past, and it's "ok". It's not the best fining around, although it's vegan friendly if that is a concern.

Yooper said:
Yes, it's a clay. It binds to debris/solids in the wine and pulls them down to the bottom to help clear the wine. I almost never use it, but I have in the past, and it's "ok". It's not the best fining around, although it's vegan friendly if that is a concern.

So what else is there that I can use to clear wine?

In order of effectiveness: KC finings, isinglass, sparkelloid.

I don't normally use KC finings or isinglass either though, as I want a vegetarian free wine.

There is also poly-clar, but I've never used that at all as it's plastic(?) and I don't want that in my wine.

I really like Jack Keller's page on finings, here: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/finishin.asp Scroll down about 1/2 way down the page for the information on finings.

I normally don't use finings at all. The wine will clear on its on generally, but if it's slow to clear sticking it in the fridge for two weeks will really do the job.

Fining agents, such as bentonite, are used to rapidly (within 8-10 days) clear wine. Wine will clear without it. The answer to your question is 'time'. Rack your wine in a carboy, top it off with similar wine and let time do it's work. I find that my wines are crystal clear within 6 months in the carboy without agents.

In order of effectiveness: KC finings, isinglass, sparkelloid.

I don't normally use KC finings or isinglass either though, as I want a vegetarian free wine.

There is also poly-clar, but I've never used that at all as it's plastic(?) and I don't want that in my wine.

I really like Jack Keller's page on finings, here: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/finishin.asp Scroll down about 1/2 way down the page for the information on finings.

I normally don't use finings at all. The wine will clear on its on generally, but if it's slow to clear sticking it in the fridge for two weeks will really do the job.
That link to Jack Keller's page on finings and finishing no longer works.
I found this link though, which might be the same information, saved from The Wayback Machine ( AKA Internet Archive ) :

https://virtualvalerie.net/advanced-winemaking-basics/finishing-your-wine/

Back