Slow Magnum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel1980

Reaction score
I live in East Texas and decided to plant a couple hop rhizomes this year. I've got a cascade and a magnum planted in the corner of my garden at the end of a row two & 1/2' apart from one another. The cascade is already about 1 1/2' tall but the magnum has only sent up one bine and is maybe 1/2" tall with one leaf. It's been that way for almost two weeks now. I used root hormone on both rhizomes and planted them exactly the same. Is magnum slower growing? Maybe all it's resources are being used in root growth? Any experience with this? I keep waiting for that leaf to fall off but it's staying green.

Some do that...actually, I had a magnum do that. They pop up a little way and then just sit. They usually are making a lot of root mass. Give it a couple of weeks and all of sudden it will take off.

GVH_Dan said:
Some do that...actually, I had a magnum do that. They pop up a little way and then just sit. They usually are making a lot of root mass. Give it a couple of weeks and all of sudden it will take off.

This! Be patient and remember this year chances are you wont get any hops. First year the plants ate establishing their root base.

Latest posts

Back