Oxygen Absorbing or Pretty Custom Caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
So, I've been reading around after the guy at my LHBS scared me and there seems to be some debate.

I'm making a Habanero Imperial IPA ringing in at over 100 IBUs. I don't see this as being something my friends or I will be enjoying more than one of at a time, but, given the 8% alcohol and the IBUs, preservation and aging shouldn't be an issue.

The LHBS guy did tell me to get oxygen absorbing caps for this one, however. He says standard caps begin to deteriorate in 9 months. I may have this brew much longer than that.

I get caps from Bottle Mark for all my brews rather than labeling. It's affordable and makes identification easy (plus they look cool!). I don't believe I have the option of O2 absorbing caps through them.

Should I worry about oxidizing or otherwise spoiling my beer by leaving it in standard caps for up to 2 years?

Your LHBS guy is trying to make a sale. He should get into used auto sales from the sounds of it.

Regular beer caps work just fine for 9 months or more.

If you have been good about not sloshing air through your beer O2 scavenging is completely unnecessary.

Nah, they're good guys at my LHBS... he knows I custom order my caps and suggested I ask Bottle Mark if they'd print on O2 caps.

It was kind of my feeling that the O2 caps were unnecessary especially considering what I've read about the yeast taking care of any O2 in the bottles.

Thanks!

I also agree that the O2 caps aren't necessary. I'll add that although it is high ABV and IBU, you'll lose a ton of hop flavor and aroma after it's a couple months old. So don't age it too long. How/when are you adding the habaneros? Sounds like a crazy recipe!

Latest posts

Back