Bottling JAOM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littletommy

Reaction score
SO, I found some brand new swing top bottles for a great price. I had planned on just leaving my 3 1 gallon batches in the cabinet for at least six months, but after tasting a few days ago, I am quite happy with the product. I started all three batches on December 31, so I'm 4.5 months in now. Is it too soon to transfer to the bottles? The recipe I followed doesn't really mention a good time to bottle.

IIRC, Joe claims the mead is best after 6 months, so you're quite close. It will continue to improve with age in bottles as well so it doesn't matter much. At this point it will be as clear as it can be without additives.

If you don't want to bottle but still wish to age, you could rack them to secondary..

IIRC, Joe claims the mead is best after 6 months, so you're quite close. It will continue to improve with age in bottles as well so it doesn't matter much. At this point it will be as clear as it can be without additives.

If you don't want to bottle but still wish to age, you could rack them to secondary..

Thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking as well. From what I've seen, the standard JAOM is pretty forgiving, and as I said, I'm happy with what I've got so far.

I have to admit, I'm almost as excited to see the color of the mead in the clear bottles as I am to drink it.:mug:

Back