Weizenbock Recipe Critique!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLR1987

Reaction score
Hey everyone! This will be my first partial mash recipe and I'd love some feedback on it, particularly with the mash temps and grain bill. Here we go!
Wah Wah Weizenbock

3lb Munich Malt
2lb Vienna Malt
1lb Crystal 40L
4 oz Chocolate Malt
3lb Wheat DME (20 min)
2lb Amber DME (20 min)
1 oz Spalter (60 min)
1 oz Santiam (5 min)
Wyeast 3068 Yeast

Personally, I would rather go with more wheat... maybe replace the 2# Amber DME with more Wheat DME.

I'm also not sure you want chocolate malt in there, even at 4oz. Maybe some Crystal-120 or Special-B instead?

Try mashing in the low-mid 150's... I'd aim for 152-154-F. You have plenty of dextrins from the crystal & DME, so it should still be pretty firm mouthfeel.

Late hops are really a personal preference. I like a little addition at 15-mins left in the boil. Some folks would skip them, others would go closer to the end of the boil like you have. Weizenbocks should be more about the malty wheatness!

Fermentation temps will impact how much banana/clove thing you get going in there. Higher temps (upper 60's) and under-pitching will bring out more banana esters. Lower temps (low 60's) and over-pitching will curtail the banana a fair amount, and let more of the spicey/clove notes come through.

Good luck!
--LexusChris

LexusChris said:
Personally, I would rather go with more wheat... maybe replace the 2# Amber DME with more Wheat DME.

I'm also not sure you want chocolate malt in there, even at 4oz. Maybe some Crystal-120 or Special-B instead?

Try mashing in the low-mid 150's... I'd aim for 152-154-F. You have plenty of dextrins from the crystal & DME, so it should still be pretty firm mouthfeel.

Late hops are really a personal preference. I like a little addition at 15-mins left in the boil. Some folks would skip them, others would go closer to the end of the boil like you have. Weizenbocks should be more about the malty wheatness!

Fermentation temps will impact how much banana/clove thing you get going in there. Higher temps (upper 60's) and under-pitching will bring out more banana esters. Lower temps (low 60's) and over-pitching will curtail the banana a fair amount, and let more of the spicey/clove notes come through.

Good luck!
--LexusChris

Thanks a lot for all of this input! I'm definitely going to substitute the chocolate out for crystal. I am quite new to home brewing but I will take any sound advice that I can. I'm brewing this next Tuesday so hopefully it'll turn out awesome!

Back