English Brown Ale w/ Willamette Bittering Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all- obviously a first time poster, so I hope not to waste anyone's time.

I did notice some previous comments regarding bittering with Willamette's, but just hoping to get some extra input for my planned brew session...

I'd like to create an English Brown, but just realized I am out of Goldings, but have plenty of Willamette. Think it'll jive? I know it's not the optimal situation, but no time to order from Freshops...

Here's the general idea:

5 gal. all-grain
-8# Marris Otter
-1# Crystal 60
-1# Flaked Oats
-.5# Vienna
-.25# Chocolate
-1oz Willamette 60 min
-1oz Willamette 15 min
-Nottingham dry yeast

Obviously, this is a relatively standard recipe for the style, but anyone have any input regarding the hops? Any other comments on the recipe in general wouldn't hurt either.

Again, apologies in advance if this has been beaten dead in the past.... :mug:

It will taste different than with goldings, but it should make a fine ale, Willamette is a nice hope. Do it then tell us how it worked.

Thanks, guys. Brewed it today. I'll keep ya posted on the final results. Smelled great, but we'll see....

Honestly, a lot of people couldn't tell Fuggles/Kent/Willamette apart. Very similar flavor profiles, especially muddled into a darker beer.

It's going to be a good beer for sure. Willamatte can sometimes throw off a tad more spice than it's English counterparts, but minimal and goes well. For instance, Brooklyn Brown Ale is finished with Willamette.

Honestly, a lot of people couldn't tell Fuggles/Kent/Willamette apart. Very similar flavor profiles, especially muddled into a darker beer.

It's going to be a good beer for sure. Willamatte can sometimes throw off a tad more spice than it's English counterparts, but minimal and goes well. For instance, Brooklyn Brown Ale is finished with Willamette.

Thanks, Keystone. I agree, the difference is minimal, and most won't be able to notice. I forgot how spicy and aromatic Willamette's are, which was precisely my issue- can Willamette be used to bitter? Yes. Yes, they can! I'll keep you all posted on the final result. Brew session went great, and i hope to be enjoying it soon!

Latest posts

Back