Is my corny keg infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DylanTO

Reaction score
I just got two used corny kegs. One in particular is suspect... hot PBW soaked and starsanned before each use. Also, brand new keg lines, cobra taps, and quick-connects.

I am now on my second beer that went into the keg in question tasting and smelling fine, after not too long developed distinct green apple smell and taste. Acetaldehyde, says how-to-brew.

Firstly, I have a chest freezer with a temp controller and have been a stickler for fementation temps, pitching, fermenting, and conditioning using advice from this forum. I have only used new packets of dry yeast, rehydrated as instructed by the producer. Both beers were in primary for at least two weeks (the first was three weeks) before being racked to the keg.

That said, I think I have one of two issues:

1. the keg has acetic acid bacteria, not being killed by starsan. Possibly in the o-rings or poppits. Only thing is, the flavour is VERY green apple. I would not describe it as vinegar at all.

2. There was some splashing during racking to keg (i'm a noob, I know), I've read that this can somehow cause acetaldehyde to rear it's head.

The first beer I've already written off. It's sitting in bottles, I'll taste it in a couple of months. The more recent one though, is still in the keg, one week into lagering (it's a CAP). It will hurt to lose this one.

Possible solutions:

1. just let it lager (at or below 40')
2. raise the temp to above 50', hope the yeasties come to the rescue somehow
3. raise the temp to above 60' (d-rest temp), and pray to the yeasties
4. raise the temp to either 50' or 60' and pitch another packet of 34/70.
5. dump it, sterilize, sanitize, replace all non-metal bits

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Did you disassemble the posts or just put the pbw/starsan in the keg and then pump it out? If you didn't disassemble them and take out the poppets for cleaning, you may have missed something. Definitely replace the o-rings as Spartan suggested.

Back