2013 NHC first round results?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, that was last week! At least this week you should hear something from the AHA. Wouldn't hold my breath for those busy city folks.

The whole thing is starting to get under my skin. Is any other region holding the scoresheets like this?

The whole thing is starting to get under my skin. Is any other region holding the scoresheets like this?

Don't worry... I logged into the region 11 competition site and sent a message to the site director and was surprised to get this immediate response.

region11.jpg

Sooo.... :mad:

I found out why i was missing a St. Paul scoresheet. The director said they missed all of the Belgian Tripels. He didn't go into to detail and AHA is deciding what to do.

Got a message from a friend that was volunteering in NYC that he had put my sheets in an envelope last night.

Of course he didn't notice my name until he sealed the envelope... so he didn't know if any of my entries placed. That or he didn't want to hurt my feelings! :p

I asked if that meant they were mailing today, and he said he believes so.

Don't worry... I logged into the region 11 competition site and sent a message to the site director and was surprised to get this immediate response.

region11.jpg

Sooo.... :mad:

If there were ever a perfect time to receive a "503 Service Unavailable (Too Busy)" error, that would have been it.

Also, at $12 for what is essentially TWO competitions, I think this is a fair price.

What it really is, is paying for 12 competitions out of the budget for 11. However, we are paying roughly 2x what any other regional competition entry fee costs if you are an AHA member, or 3x the cost if you are a non-member. I agree that certificates and ribbons aren't free, but does each certificate/ribbon/whatever really cost $5?

For those of us who are ignorant, could you please explain the significance, if any, of a 503 service error?

It's a 'Too Many Connections' error that was the major downfall of the registration process. The free software that the AHA used for registration used a MySQL database with a default connection value of 150. The database was hammered with people trying to register so most everyone saw 503: Too Many Connection errors.

For those of us who are ignorant, could you please explain the significance, if any, of a 503 service error?

"503 Service Unavailable" is a generic error code when a web server is overloaded and can't serve requests (like when the original registration was happening). Some 503 pages will actually state "503 Service Unavailable (Too Busy)". Add that to the 'too busy' comments about NYC, and it would have been some sort of cruel practical joke from the universe to receive that response.

Saw earlier on this thread that Milwaukee shipped out score sheets last week and to expect them this week, can anyone confirm mailing or receiving score sheets from Region 8?

My registration got screwed up so I had to send to Milwaukee instead of NYC, where I could've hand delivered...

The database was hammered...
Well that seems appropriate :D

Another day comes to a close an no scoresheets or release of results. :mad:

Since the AHA likes to do things on Tuesdays ( conference registration, competition reg.), tomorrow I hope will be the day.

My Denver score sheets showed up in the mail today. On the cover sheets, some of the places were marked 1, 2, 3, etc. Some marked DNA and some with the place awarded space left blank. I'm waiting for the official AHA results to be posted before I re-brew anything.

My results from Ohio:

American Pale Ale: 27 (I think it may have been an infected bottle, both judges noticed a spotty ring on the neck and strong diacetyl aroma)

Saison: 26 (not to style)

Imperial Stout: 31.5

American Stout: 22.5 (not to style)

American Amber: 24 (Not hoppy enough)

I found out that brewing on the low end of the style guidelines is not good for competitions.

Comments for my Saison, American stout, and American amber said that they were great beers just not big and/or bold enough for style.

Both judges commented that my imperial stout was almost too small, I don't know how to take that because it is 11% ABV.

I was only able to get 1 beer entered in Zanesville OH, an Imperial Smoked Porter. It scored a 42 & advanced to mini-BOS, but apparently didn't place (nothing marked in the box).

Better luck next year I guess.

Got my scoresheets in the mail from the Pleasanton, CA site today. My IIPA got a 32 and the pale ale got a 37.5. Mini-bos wasn't checked on either. Not too shabby for a first time competition entrant if I do say so myself. Think I may have been bitten by the competition bug. Our State Fair is right around the corner... o_0

Nice. I had two entries in category 14 but they weren't as good as last year's entries and I'm not optimistic. Hopefully my scoresheets show up today as well!

gmr said:
Got a message from a friend that was volunteering in NYC that he had put my sheets in an envelope last night.

Of course he didn't notice my name until he sealed the envelope... so he didn't know if any of my entries placed. That or he didn't want to hurt my feelings! :p

I asked if that meant they were mailing today, and he said he believes so.

Thanks for some sort of news on NY!

My results from Ohio:

Both judges commented that my imperial stout was almost too small, I don't know how to take that because it is 11% ABV.

Well, flavor doesn't always directly correlate to ABV. Perhaps try a higher mash temperature or more hops/specialty malts?

It's not a true Russian Imperial Stout unless it tries to kill you. :ban:

I brewed one last year that had so much blow-off it turned the blow off water black as night. I replaced fouled the blow-off tube with a clean one but forgot to cut the bottom off the airlock and it immediately clogged. When I checked it before bed I pinched the tube to see if it was blocked and it exploded in my face. Thankfully I lost no beer but everything in 10' of the carboy was covered in krausen. I was momentarily blinded from a face full of it, but I lived on to brew another day. :drunk:

A year later it took 3rd in BOS at the 2013 Babble Brew Off :)

Anywho... here are a few shots of the collateral damage. Not too bad... but a little bit went everywhere.

is1.jpg

is2.jpg

is3.jpg

is4.jpg

Well, received my score from Tulsa today. My first foray into competitions since the 90s did not go so well. Entered my coffee stout in 21A and scored a 28. Was a little confused since they seemed to focus on the base style more than I would have expected. I wonder if I would have scored better listing it as a foreign export stout with coffee rather than an irish stout with coffee since the dings seemed to be about the 'creaminess' or 'no hop aroma'. I also have a hard time figuring out how "Complex roasted malt up front. Notes of chocolate and coffee. No hop aroma." and "Strong coffee aroma. Good roasted malt aroma." both translate to 6/12 on aroma. Oh well.

Got mine from Ohio. 34 on the unblended straight lambic and 37 on the cherry fruited version. The cherry went to minibos, but no placement.

Got mine from SD, entered 9 beers, 8 had scores from 30-40.5, with one 19 on Flander's Red as I sent it in before it was fully carbed.

My Imperial Red with Rye and a lot of NZ, AU and US hops placed 2nd in specialty, 5 others had mini-bos, not did not have place awarded marked, so it looks like 1 is going on to round 2. Bummer.

Looks like people from every region except ATlanta and NYC have now received score sheets. I just checked last year's results thread, and Atlanta was the last to return sheets, with people receiving them between May 12th and 15th. I'm hoping they improved from last year, but I don't expect anything until next week at the earliest. Hopefully their volunteers aren't as busy as those in NYC...

One thing to keep in mind here is that mini-bos for the first round had a fresh bottle. Maybe the second bottle was that much better than the other one. Also, it could be that the first judging pair was being very conservative with their scores. A lot of judges get stuck in ruts from 25-35 and don't give much outside of that. When the pair pushes on their top 2-3 beers (never four; only 3 can place), those are probably the legitimately best 2-3 beers in the flight. At the end of the day, for better or for worse, for judges, the score given to a beer places it onto a continuum for the beers that they have judged in their flight. Putting too much worth into a beer score isn't really a great focus. Beating out other beers is.

OK, I got a 35 on my Black IPA in 23A. It is marked mini-BOS and has a place awarded of 3. Does this mean It is going to the second round with a fairly low score?

Got mine back from Ohio today. 36.5 on my APA, 31 on my IPA (which was actually an APA) and 29.5 on my mild (Reaper's mild blend).

no comments on off flavors or poor ferment, just recipe suggestions. I feel pretty good for my first comp!

Edit: my APA went to mini-BOS!

Got mine from OH today. Was rather surprised to see that a beer I had to enter as a last minute change (the one I intended on entering wasn't ready yet) that I didn't expect to do well at all did better than I thought (my Dubbel. It's not a bad beer, but I missed the style mark by a long shot, or so I thought). I figured teens, low 20s at best. Given a 28 by none other than Gordon Strong, and 30.5 final score, so I guess that means something. Had two others (Wee Heavy and Cal Common) go to mini-BOS but no rankings, so I guess that means none advancing. Oh well. Satisfied with my scoring overall.

Looks like people from every region except ATlanta and NYC have now received score sheets. I just checked last year's results thread, and Atlanta was the last to return sheets, with people receiving them between May 12th and 15th. I'm hoping they improved from last year, but I don't expect anything until next week at the earliest. Hopefully their volunteers aren't as busy as those in NYC...

It's only been a week since Atlanta was judged so I'm not expecting my score sheets for another week. The results would be nice given that it seems every other region has let their entrants know through the score sheets.

I just got an email from the site director in New York. He said the score sheets are in the mail.

So, following protocol, tomorrow I'm going to let the post office know that I'm refusing mail deliveries until next week.

#bestcompever!!

I just got an email from the site director in New York. He said the score sheets are in the mail.

So, following protocol, tomorrow I'm going to let the post office know that I'm refusing mail deliveries until next week.

#bestcompever!!

Is it because you're too busy to pick them up??

Does anyone know when and where we need to submit the beers that are moving forward? I didn't see anything about it on the AHA site.

Does anyone know when and where we need to submit the beers that are moving forward? I didn't see anything about it on the AHA site.

Like the extra sheet that came in your packet said, all additional information will be sent by Janis to those who need it.

You'll probably see your packet of certificates/ribbons/instructions in the next week or so.

So i entered a wheat ipa 7(scored a 36) and a American brown ( scored a 40) into the nhc. The same two beers I entered in a local comp at the same time and bottled at the same time and my wheat ipa scored a 30 and they tore it apart. And my american brown I put it into the specialty category with the notes of american brown ale that is hoppy with a og of 1.066, so I got my score sheets back they decided to judge it as a imperial amber ale. Which doesnt make since. My score was a 28 with coments it was out of style. No **** it was out of style because the comp organizers put down wrong info about it! Pisses me off. But oh well I guess. Igot a email back from them about it and they said I don't know why it ended up being listed like that and we're sorry it happened. Atleast they responded back with in a day. I might be done with comps! Sorry for rambling on.

#bestcompever!!

We both know you don't want to waste your time in the Germantown Post office just to spite the comp haha :ban:

So i entered a wheat ipa 7(scored a 36) and a American brown ( scored a 40) into the nhc. The same two beers I entered in a local comp at the same time and bottled at the same time and my wheat ipa scored a 30 and they tore it apart. And my american brown I put it into the specialty category with the notes of american brown ale that is hoppy with a og of 1.066, so I got my score sheets back they decided to judge it as a imperial amber ale. Which doesnt make since. My score was a 28 with coments it was out of style. No **** it was out of style because the comp organizers put down wrong info about it! Pisses me off. But oh well I guess. Igot a email back from them about it and they said I don't know why it ended up being listed like that and we're sorry it happened. Atleast they responded back with in a day. I might be done with comps! Sorry for rambling on.

I had a beer last year win the category, then win BOS overall. I entered it into the next big event and it didn't place. Don't get down on that, I rarely enter the same beer/batch into more than 1 event, in fact that was the first time I did it and it was an experiment to see what would happen.

The truth is, it takes a bit of luck to win these things. If you're a good brewer and submit a few styles to each event, you'll probably place for at least 1 style, but don't expect the same beer to have the same results at each event, it just won't happen.

edit - the beer in question was a Helles, so if anything it probably only got better/crisper/cleaner with the additional 2 months of cold-conditioning between the events.

I had a beer last year win the category, then win BOS overall. I entered it into the next big event and it didn't place. Don't get down on that, I rarely enter the same beer/batch into more than 1 event, in fact that was the first time I did it and it was an experiment to see what would happen.

The truth is, it takes a bit of luck to win these things. If you're a good brewer and submit a few styles to each event, you'll probably place for at least 1 style, but don't expect the same beer to have the same results at each event, it just won't happen.

edit - the beer in question was a Helles, so if anything it probably only got better/crisper/cleaner with the additional 2 months of cold-conditioning between the events.

some great advise thanks man!! it just sucks that they decided to change the whole discription of it to something it wasn't!

I have a feeling today will be the day. If not, hopefully I get the results back in the mail at least. Anyone receive theirs from Region 8 yet? They were supposed to have been sent out Friday/Saturday.

Latest posts

Back