Plans for Chilean Juice pails?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
I just ordered 4 pails and it's my first time working with grape juice, well actually these will be my first all grape wines. Carmenere, Malbec, Riesling, and Chardonnay, and of course I'm not sure of the stats on the juice yet but I wanted to try to get everything as ready as possible for the their arrival. This is what I'm thinking

1) Carmenere - Pastuer Red yeast, wait until fermentation is over and them MLF, wait for that to complete and then add some darker oak (french or hungarian)

2) Malbec - Pretty much the same as the Carmenere

3) Riesling - K1116 yeast, keep it cool and sulfited

4) Chardonnay - D47 or 71B yeast, not sure if I want to try a clean white or if I want to try MLF with this also with a little oak. Tastes wise I prefer a more oak-buttery Chardonnay but I've already got my hands full so I'm leaning towards a simple ferment, clean and oxygen free.

Any advise on yeasts or other additives I might want (tannin?) The directions from the broker recommend Ferm aid and Opti red I think.

I have no advice, but this sounds awesome. Where do you get pails of Chilean grape juice? I worked on a cruise ship for a bit and spent around a month going between Chile and Argentina...lots of great, cheap wine, I can tell you that for sure! I developed a love for Carmenere in particular.

Thanks! Honestly I'm fine with waiting until next year or whatever if I need to. Home made carmenere is sounding very appealing though...

Well, the shipment came in quicker than I had expected, and when I went to the brew store today for supplies (yeast, nutrient, ph indicator strips, etc), it says they were closed for inventory, and the other brew store that I know of was already closed. The pails had probably been sitting at 50 degrees or more for the past 4-5 days so I really wanted to get some yeast in the must to avoid any chance of spoilage. So I look in my fridge and I had 3 packets of yeast for 4 pails of juice (K1V116, D47, and 71B). All the musts were around 1.096 or so, and at 55 degrees. I put the K1 in the Riesling, D47 in Chardonnay, and split the 71B for the two reds. I'm sure that's not great, and even worse since I didn't have any nutrient. I whipped the must a lot and tried to get a good rehydration starter going. I might be able to swing by the brew store if they're open tomorrow to grab some additional yeast and nutrient. Hopefully it will all work out.

Ended up finding the brew store near by work and doubled up on the yeasts (patience is indeed a virtue, and one I have yet to master) and got some nutrient, engergizer, and ph strips. I added more yeast (unfortunately they didn't have 71B, so I used RC212, which is what I was planning, so I guess we'll see how the two work together. Everything is bubbling away nicely after a few peaks and valleys with temperature (screened in porch and a bin for a water bath to help moderate the temp). They're holding around 60 degrees and about 1.050 for the most part.

Back