Converted Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wreck99

Wrecked Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a dilemma and was hoping our trusty homebrewing community can weigh in here. I got a little nostalgic this evening and decided to try and convert my very first brew to AG. It was an extract kit for a Cream Ale picked up at my LHBS, which is where I started. I'll post both recipes. I use BeerSmith2 and the convert feature works great, except the color of the AG version is lighter. I rounded the numbers because they were slightly fractioned. But, any ideas?

Original Recipe:
6.6 lb - Briess Pilsner LME
1.0 lb - Briess Pale LME
1.0 lb - Flaked Maize
1.0 oz - Perle @ 60
1.0 oz - Liberty @ flameout
Wyeast 1056 - American Ale Yeast

BeerSmith Converted AG Recipe:
9.0 lb - 2-row Pils
1.0 lb - Flaked Corn
1.0 oz - Perle @ 60
1.0 oz - Liberty @ flameout
Wyeast 1056 - American Ale Yeast

Looks correct however I would double check your ibus. Since with all grain you'll be boiling with a higher volume you may have to adjust your hop volume to account for this.

Looks correct however I would double check your ibus. Since with all grain you'll be boiling with a higher volume you may have to adjust your hop volume to account for this.

Ok, that explains why it changed Perle addition from 1 oz to 0.68 oz. Thank you for double checking this for me.

Any idea why the color is that much different?

cream-ale-recipe-extract.jpg

cream-ale-recipe-ag.jpg

Extract brews, especially those with LME, will almost always be darker than the equivalent all grain recipe. Here's an article from Brad Smith that explains why.

Back