7.5 gal keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9 fingers

Reaction score
Hello all!

I've been perusing the forum since Dec. and getting lots of great info, so now it's time to get my first post in...

I'm rather new to brewing (3 "boxed kit" batches done) and will be probably sticking with the brewing kits for quite a while.

I'll therefore probably never be having more than 6-7 gallons boiling at any one time. Is it ok to use a 7.5 gal keggle in this case?

I have an old 10gal/40qt. hand-me-down pot right now that works ok but I thought I might upgrade to a keggle. I have not had a boilover thus far and my boils have been rather "mellow", possibly because I am using a 35,000 btu propane burner. However I may upgrade this burner in the near future to a 100,000 btu natural gas-

Are any of you able to boil a double batch with the typical keggle? As in two 5-gal batches- I might be interested in doing that eventually, so maybe a 1/2 keg keggle will be the best size.

Thanks in advance!

If you are going to the trouble for upgrading, go to a 1/2 keg. Otherwise, you are looking for trouble with that 100,000 BTU burner.

Hello all!

I've been perusing the forum since Dec. and getting lots of great info, so now it's time to get my first post in...

I'm rather new to brewing (3 "boxed kit" batches done) and will be probably sticking with the brewing kits for quite a while.

I'll therefore probably never be having more than 6-7 gallons boiling at any one time. Is it ok to use a 7.5 gal keggle in this case?

I have an old 10gal/40qt. hand-me-down pot right now that works ok but I thought I might upgrade to a keggle. I have not had a boilover thus far and my boils have been rather "mellow", possibly because I am using a 35,000 btu propane burner. However I may upgrade this burner in the near future to a 100,000 btu natural gas-

Are any of you able to boil a double batch with the typical keggle? As in two 5-gal batches- I might be interested in doing that eventually, so maybe a 1/2 keg keggle will be the best size.

Thanks in advance!

I have a 50L keg (european) which is around 13 gallons. I don't think there would be enough room to brew a double (10 gallon) batch in here because you will probably loose 10-15% in the volume to steam, so that puts it at around 11 gal, and you will also loose some beer to the trub so that will probably loose another 1/2 to 1 gallon (total is around 12 gallons) and you will want a little head room in the keggle when boiling as well to get a good hot break. In my experience the biggest I batch I have done is around 8.5 gallons in the fermenter and It was a tricky first 10-20 minutes into the boil to get the heat set perfectly.

Just get the 15.5 gallon keg, I've done 5 gallon batches in them (and have still had boil-overs) and 11 gallon batches. You can't have to big of a kettle, it jsut gives you more head room.

I have a 50L keg (european) which is around 13 gallons. I don't think there would be enough room to brew a double (10 gallon) batch in here because you will probably loose 10-15% in the volume to steam, so that puts it at around 11 gal, and you will also loose some beer to the trub so that will probably loose another 1/2 to 1 gallon (total is around 12 gallons) and you will want a little head room in the keggle when boiling as well to get a good hot break. In my experience the biggest I batch I have done is around 8.5 gallons in the fermenter and It was a tricky first 10-20 minutes into the boil to get the heat set perfectly.

A three year old post from a guy with a post count of 1 post?? You're a real life saver I'm sure ;):mug::D

A 10 gal (40 qt.) pot sounds pretty good to me, even if a hand me down. W/ a ten gal pot a 1/4 keggle makes no sense to me. A 1/2 keggle would permit 10 gal batches if that's the direction you would like to go.

zombie threads!!!

zombie_1-9316_640x480.jpg

There has been a lot of thread necromancy going on here lately...

They are coming!

Wait, was this perhaps a 'Similar Thread' that was stumbled upon somehow?

We better find a way of contacting 9fingers to make sure he has this vital info!

JK, it's the thought that counts :)

WOW! I just logged back on today after being away for awhile and was suprised to stumble back into my old post.

I now have about 30 batches under my belt, and going with a 15.5 gal keggle from the start-it has worked out great for both single and double "boxed kit" batches.

I haven't yet upgraded to the natural gas burner-maybe some day if I still have a house with NG.

Thanks for the posts guys, good even if it's few years later.
Tim Hogan (9fingers)

Back