Cheap weldless HLT setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puddlethumper

Reaction score
I have a 7 1/2 gal. aluminum kettle that I want to convert to a hot liquor tank. I don't want to spend $130 to install a ball valve and a temperature gauge and a sight gauge. Has anyone out there come up with a cheap way to install these fittings into a metal kettle? (Either for a mash tun or a HLT.)

I'd really like to hear about any inexpensive DIY ideas you may have come up with along with any pix you might have of your finished mash tun or HLT.

Well I don't have a temp gauge or sight glass but for my drain I just got 2 SS washers, 1/2" ball valve. 1/2"NPT nipple, 1/2" union, (1) 1/2" nut, 2 high temp silicone gaskets, assembled in order of ball valve onto nipple nut screwed all the way on the other end, washer on against nut, silicone gasket, insert through hole in kettle, then silicone gasket on inside followed by washer then screwed union on to pull everything together watertight. Then I screwed my bazooka screen into other end if union. At work now so no pics. Can post when I get home if you still need help understanding my poor Grammar.

Well I don't have a temp gauge or sight glass but for my drain I just got 2 SS washers, 1/2" ball valve. 1/2"NPT nipple, 1/2" union, (1) 1/2" nut, 2 high temp silicone gaskets, assembled in order of ball valve onto nipple nut screwed all the way on the other end, washer on against nut, silicone gasket, insert through hole in kettle, then silicone gasket on inside followed by washer then screwed union on to pull everything together watertight. Then I screwed my bazooka screen into other end if union. At work now so no pics. Can post when I get home if you still need help understanding my poor Grammar.

Thanks! I made a sketch following your description and everything made sense except the union. I can't see how that fits. Could I use a 1/2" coupling instead?

If you want cheap weldless sight glass/thermometer kits, look at brewhardware.com. You can get them for under $40 I believe and weldless couplers for $12 (assuming you have a ball valve).

If you want cheap weldless sight glass/thermometer kits, look at brewhardware.com. You can get them for under $40 I believe and weldless couplers for $12 (assuming you have a ball valve).

Great tip! Thanks!

Unfortunately their website says their shop is temporarily closed until 4/25/13. (Opening day of trout season?)

Will check them out when they get back on line.

:mug:

Also check http://www.bargainfittings.com/. I've ordered from them a couple times and always been VERY impressed. Really top quality stuff, not at all what you'd expect for the price.

Thanks for the tip and the link. I just ordered the stuff to convert the brass fittings on my MT to SS. (Will save the brass stuff for when I'm setting up the HLT in a few weeks.) These people seem to get some good reviews so I'm looking forward to working with them.

Latest posts

Back