Infected brew, help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jono1492

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry to do this to you all, I'm sure you've seen/heard it s hundred times, but it's my first time and I'm freaking out!

So, yesterday I posted this
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/infected-brew-409438/

Now, being that I'm freaking out, I couldn't just leave it be, so I opted to remove the visible infection from the top of my beer. I used a sanitized tea strainer and thouroughly(but gently) removed all the film I could, and wiped the sides of my fermenter with a sanitized piece of paper towel, and also sanitized lid/airlock.

Now, not 15 minutes after doing this, my air lock is bubbling quite frequently, despite not bubbling since about day 7/8(same time as I dry hopped)(Og was 1.062 and FG was 1.012 before I touched the infection). It's currently on day 12.

Can anyone help me out here?

Sincerely,
A newb...

The organisms causing the infection are not just on the surface, but almost assuredly dispersed throughout the entire volume of liquid. Skimming the pellicle off is useless. Your airlock is bubling b/c you agitated CO2 out of suspension and to a lesser degree, may be having a secondary wild yeast fermentation.

Nothing much you can do at this point but let it ride and see how it turns out...might be good, but that's unlikely. Alternatively, dump it, bleach bomb your equipment, and get a new bucket and tubing.

STOP looking at it. Dryhop for however long you intended to, and package it. If it's infected, there's nothing you can do about it. If it's not infected, all this messing with it could cause problems.

Back