I'm boiling some bottles....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSorenson

Reaction score
Is that going to hurt the integrity of the bottles? They were rinsed well, but I left them upright, so I wanted to be sure they are good to go. I don't see stress cracks.

I don't know about integrity, but that seems like a time consuming and inefficient way to go. If you have a sanitize/steam setting on your dishwasher, you can run them through there. Just don't run any settings that involve detergent or you'll screw up your head retention on any beer you bottle in it.

They will take a really long time to cool enough that you can grab them with your hands. And you need to let them cool evenly or they will crack.

Although I'd never think of doing it for my normal beers I AM boiling all the bottles I'm putting my 50th B-day barleywine in AS WELL as sanitizing them, using oxy caps and wax sealing them. Having 3 years devoted to this bugger, 1 of which is currently being spent in an oak barrel, and another 2 years to go in the bottles I'm not taking any chances.

We're going to fire up a 30 gallon kettle and hopefully knock them all out at once.

But for your normal everyday beers? Nah.....

Revvy said:
Although I'd never think of doing it for my normal beers I AM boiling all the bottles I'm putting my 50th B-day barleywine in AS WELL as sanitizing them, using oxy caps and wax sealing them. Having 3 years devoted to this bugger, 1 of which is currently being spent in an oak barrel, and another 2 years to go in the bottles I'm not taking any chances.

We're going to fire up a 30 gallon kettle and hopefully knock them all out at once.

Yeah, I can't blame you for extra caution in that case. Also, that sounds awesome.

Yeah, I can't blame you for extra caution in that case. Also, that sounds awesome.

I agree in that case. Long term storage is a different situation.

You could also put a piece of foil on each bottle and stick them in the oven for a while.

I've also considered storing empties in starsan solution for a month or two giving the acid plenty of time to kill anything hiding in the unseen, microscopic nooks and cranny's of the bottles. I already do it with jars sometimes...

Hahaha guys, well it was time well spent to sleep well tonight. Boiling is a good agitator and thorough at killing bacteria. Or at least that was my idea. I used tongs to handle the hot bottles, and didn't see any stress or heat cracks.

Good luck to your operations there revy!

Thanks again for the input guys.

Edit: I also used star san :)

Latest posts

Back