Possible Yeast Contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ueberdc4

Reaction score
So I was using some White Labs yeast, which I've never done before. Gave it a decent shake to get it all off the bottom. Of course, when I opened it, it started to overflow. My initial response was not to waste any so I dumped it in. It then occurred to me that some of the yeast had dripped down the side of the unsanitized tube and into the wort. What's the likelihood of contamination?

Not a huge possibility of contamination but it's there. Good idea to sanitize the vile before you open it for this reason. I usually open the vile before shaking and pour a little bit of the liquid out before shaking to give it room to expand when you shake the carbonation out of solution.

On a side bar, I would strongly recommend using dry yeast if you aren't building a starter with liquid. If you poured a liquid vial straight into a five gallon batch, I can 95% guarantee that you under-pitched it which can give you undesirable flavors.

Hey ueberdc4 how did the beer turn out? my vile fizzed over today when i opened it too and i lost a bunch but threw the rest in a yeast starter for tomorrows brew.... did u add more yeast or did u just throw in what u were able to salvage and did the beer turn out ok?

Back