15/15/30 half barrel RIMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angrybits

Mountain Medicine Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
was playing with a mash calculator and it seems I could still do 15 gallon batches with 15 gallon HLT and Mash Tun. I already own the two 15's so I am stuck with them. would get a 30 for the boil kettle.

anyone have any wisdom or experience to share on the matter?

30 is HUGE for 15 gallon batches. No need to go that big. I'd at least match the size of my BK for the MLT. A 15 gal MLT for 15 gal batches is a bit small.

Depending on the kind of beers you like to brew, a 15 gallon Mt will be pretty small. I use a 15/15/15 setup and my mash tun is full for 10 gallon bathes over 1.06 or so, and nearly full for 5 gallons of RIS or similar. I'd be hesitant to plan on using it for 15 gallons bathes. Agree with above on BK size. No need to got hat big for 15 gallons.

I think I'd have to do 1.5 quarts per pound mashes to make it work. As for BK size, it's 20 or 30, not making the mistake of buying too small again. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Back