Using Grapefruit in Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WRBBB

Reaction score
I have read a few posts here and on other sites about using grapefruit in a homebrew. Generally it seems people prefer to use the peel only but there was one person who was talking about putting the fruit portions in the keg when kegging a brew. mmm... I have used whole fruit in brews before with success so I am going for it. Going to put the juice from 3 or 4 grapefruits in the wort today just to see what turns out.

Why am I doing this??? Was in a hurry at store and grabbed a bag of grapfruit rather than oranges for eating. Figure if Shiner can do a grapefruit beer so can I. Other than that I am bored and want to brew something odd.

If anyone has ever done this before let me know. I will let ya'll know how this turns out in about 3 weeks.

Just to clarify, your using the peels in the boil and the flesh @ kegging?
or
Whole fruits in the boil?

First one sounds great, make sure you dont boil/steep the pith (white portion of citrus)
Ive also brewed a citra pale ale with grapefruit zest in the boil that turned out fantastic.

Due to grapefruit's intensely bitter nature, go easy on the juice. Good luck!

Back