Bottle Carb Help... PLEASE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tvc15

Reaction score
What he hell!
Im on my 20 something batch now and bottle carbonization has always been iffy for me. Total hit and miss.

Here are the facts
1) I always do a first and second ferment.
2) In this case i have 22 ounce bottles with a medium body IPA with two carb pills. (yes I know... in this case it needed to be pills)
3) Bottle conditioning ran cooler than I wanted, under 70 for 2 weeks

Result after 2 weeks NO carb!!!!!

1) I rocked the bottles
2)placed them in a 72 degree environment for 1 week
3) Placed a test bottle in the fridge for 2 days

No Carb WTF!

Should I pour the bottles into a keg and force carb???

Words of wisdom welcome!

Also keep them in the correct temp. The sub70 explains a lot. They need two weeks at +70 for an average beer, longer for more alco like an IPA.

3 weeks at 70 degrees is the rule of thumb. One number (temp) goes down, then the other number (time) has to go up. One week at just over 70 might not be enough to make up for the time in a cooler temp before. Warm 'em up and leave 'em be.

I had the same problem for a couple years. Changed my technique and have not had a problem carbonating at all... Now, I pitch 1 million cells/milliliter ( about 1 oz fresh yeast slurry) and keep the temperature constant. Mid 70's is ideal, but there are breweries that carbonate under 60 degrees. The trick is keeping it constant, if there is a few degree change in temperature, the yeast have a hard time working for you.
Hoppy brewing!

I see so many posts about carb drops/tabs where people are unsatisfied with the carbonation.

Why not batch prime with sugar? Boil a little sugar in a cup of water. Dump that in the bottling bucket. Rack the beer on top. Bottle.

Perfect, consistent carbonation precisely to whatever style you are shooting for, every time. And a good bit cheaper than carb tabs/drops, especially if you use table sugar.

Back