Notty @ 65 ambient w/ barleywine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrock430

Reaction score
Hi all,
Brewed an 1.110 barleywine Sunday evening. First time with an oxygen system, first time with the yeast. Pitched three packs of notty @ around 60*F after 60 sec of oxygen, second shot of oxygen after around 10 hrs.

36 hrs @ 57 in basement didn't yield high krausen (but beyond yeast rafts), so I moved it upstairs @ 65 ambient this morning, now going well. I figure with the gravity of the brew, I'm probably near 70*F.

With the higher ferm temp and high gravity, am I at risk of fusels, despite the high pitch rate and plenty of oxygen? I'm fine with it getting nice and fruity.
Thanks, Adam

I would think you're going to want to bring it back down to sub 60. I assume you're going to do a significant length secondary as well as conditioning the beer - so you have a bit more leeway on off flavors - they have time to reduce but you should try to minimize them if possible.

So I let this ride because I was afraid of putting the yeast to sleep with that big of a swing. Drinking the hydrometer sample (1.110 to 1.018), no solvent like smell, definitely some higher alcohols in the taste, but that should age out, right? I wont' start drinking this until at least 6 mos old.

put it back in the basement, notty gets gross over 70F

This ^^^^^. It gets yucky over 68*F, worse the warmer it gets.

Notty handles cooler temps better than any other dry ale yeast that I know of. I've used it down to 55*F (measured on the bucket) and had an active ferment. I didn't let it get up into the low 60's until after the first week was done and the krausen had fallen.

Back