cold brewed coffee stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
Anyone have tips on how to cold brew and add coffee?
I want to use the Kahlua brand coffee and get something like a caramel Kahlua coffee stout.

Take 8-10 oz of your ground coffee of choice and put it into a plastic container. Add about 24 oz of filtered or drinking water and cover. Let it sit at room temp for a couple of days, shaking it every now and then. After a couple of days, pour the entire contents into a French press to extract the coffee or if you don't have a French press, rig up a coffee filter setup and strain. Take 1/2 of the resulting cold brewed coffee and add it to your bottling bucket or keg prior to racking. After racking, taste and add more coffee if needed until you get the desired coffee flavor.

I did this recently on a mocha stout and went with 6 oz of course ground coffee for a 4 gallon batch. The coffee was evident in the beer, but I thought it could use a little more, which is why I suggest 8-10 oz (assuming a 5 gallon batch at bottling/kegging). And the amount of flavor that comes through all depends on the particular coffee and the grind, so that is why I suggest you add half to begin with, then add more if needed.

Cold brewing eliminates the bitterness that coffee gets when it's hot-brewed, leaving you with a nice, smooth coffee flavor.

1. Coarse grind 8 oz coffee
  2. Add 1.25 qt cold water
  3. Cover and let stand for 24 hours
  4. Pour into a container through paper coffee filter, either basket or cone type

The liquid will be concentrated, so quite strong. A little testing is needed to prevent possible overdosing. When mixing cold-brewed coffee syrup with water for drinking coffee, the usual mix is 1 part syrup to 2 or 3 parts water. SWMBO and I have a street-food gig and sell cold-brewed coffee. It's smoooth stuff. Virtually no acid, no oils, but plenty of flavor and caffeine.

I'd recommend trying several different types of coffee beans and figuring out which flavor you want best. Different beans and roasts can have very different flavor profiles ranging from smooth to acidic to chocolaty to citrusy. I personally like Whole Foods espresso blend. It gives a nice rich flavor without much acidity.

Make sure you grind the coffee on the coarsest setting possible. This is best for clarity and cold steeping. You will have nice separation of the liquid and the grinds with a coarse grind.

I use my 1L yeast starter. First I put the grinds on a sheet of aluminum foil and toast them in the oven at 350 for about 3-4 minutes. This shouldn't cook the grinds too much but it will help kill off any bacteria on there. I sanitize the 1L starter, pour the grinds in, and add 1.5 cups water that I have boiled to sanitize and allowed to cool to room temperature. I cap the starter with the foam stopper then swirl the whole thing around a bit. From there I just put it in the fridge overnight.

On bottling day, I pour the coffee from the yeast starter through a sanitized mesh strainer into the bottling bucket, then add priming sugar and beer and gently stir. The strainer should catch all the grinds provided that they are coarse enough.

Back