Ferment bucket smell after cleaning....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GamecockWayne

Reaction score
Is it normal for the bucket to carry a slight smell of the previous brew? I've washed it thoroughly and I can't lose the smell. Is this normal?

Yep - constant argument against plastic. I experimented with one by leaving water in it (lid and airlock on) - also leaving water with small amount of bleach. You can get some of the scent out that way. Idk that it matters that much.

Yeah,it's pretty normal. I get that in my plastic fermenters. I think a lot of it comes from the spigot seal mounting area on mine. I remove the spigots & clean/sanitize them,re-installing while wet with starsan. On brewday,I sanitize the lid & bucket with starsan right before filling. The smell is usually gone & it has a sort of fresh,clean smell after the sanitizer.

Give them a few weeks. They air out well. If you're diligent with cleaning, then don't worry about it. If you are worried about it, try a carboy. I've had good success with both.

Back