2013 HBT Fantasy Baseball

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew i would hear that from someone today!

It's okay. Even the mlb players are filled to the gills with cliches.

In other news, Mets are tied for first. Yankees are tied for last. I could safely and happily live in ignorance on this one for a few weeks.

Watching the pitching duel between Kershaw and Cain yesterday was one for the ages...What an outstanding game! I left my phone in the truck Johnny, but will take pics tonight at the game for you. Ryu and Bumgardner square off, so it figures to be another good matchup against the defending champs.

Good for Cowgill going yard on his GSHR and the Mets for putting 11 runs on the board against the Friars to pick up the win;)

Watching the pitching duel between Kershaw and Cain yesterday was one for the ages...What an outstanding game! I left my phone in the truck Johnny, but will take pics tonight at the game for you. Ryu and Bumgardner square off, so it figures to be another good matchup against the defending champs.

Good for Cowgill going yard on his GSHR and the Mets for putting 11 runs on the board against the Friars to pick up the win;)

That was a great game with Kershaw hitting a blast to support himself. Didn't realize he had stick. Ryu is the real deal, no? I'm going to try to watch the game tonight if it's aired out here, or atleast watch the highlights.

Yesterday's win was indeed sweet. Trying to remind myself that it was the Padres they beat and not a real team.

I have a question about the website. Under the "my teams" tab is a column marked "info". What do the letters under it mean? Some of my players have an "s" in that column.

In the hours leading up to a game, as players are confirmed to be in the starting lineup, the site posts an S next to their name. If a player is confirmed out of the lineup, a red exclamation mark will be posted next to the name. This is to help you make last minute adjustments.

I don't know if there is a key anywhere, so just post up in here if you have any questions.

Terrible outing. Terrible!! That 50.2 score should be divided in half considering he was pitching against a AA-talent level team.

Darwin18 said:
Terrible outing. Terrible!! That 50.2 score should be divided in half considering he was pitching against a AA-talent level team.

I laughed the other day when I read a headline saying the Astros were looking to purchase a AAA club. I thought they were a AAA club.

Gah! Another Rangers' pitcher lays 30+ points on me. The people of Houston should be ashamed of the Astros....

I'm pretty sure they are. I wonder how many know they still have an actual ballclub in town.

Seriously! I understand that they're in a rebuilding mode (again) but following the mimodel that Tampa used in the mid-2000's to aquire high level draft picks and avoid spending doesn't seem applicable to me when you compare the markets for each ball club. You're telling me that the Astros are in such a tough market that they cannot afford to field a respectable team? Isn't this what revenue sharing was supposed to prevent? The Astros have a roster that costs $25 million....pathetic!!

Seriously! I understand that they're in a rebuilding mode (again) but following the mimodel that Tampa used in the mid-2000's to aquire high level draft picks and avoid spending doesn't seem applicable to me when you compare the markets for each ball club. You're telling me that the Astros are in such a tough market that they cannot afford to field a respectable team? Isn't this what revenue sharing was supposed to prevent? The Astros have a roster that costs $25 million....pathetic!!

Yeah, the same goes for the Mets. How they were allowed to field such a pathetic team for the past 2-3 years and not invest at all in the team is beyond me. It's New freakin York. At least we're starting to see some of the talent now in Harvey, Wheeler and d'Arnaud.

Yeah, the same goes for the Mets. How they were allowed to field such a pathetic team for the past 2-3 years and not invest at all in the team is beyond me. It's New freakin York. At least we're starting to see some of the talent now in Harvey, Wheeler and d'Arnaud.

Weren't the Wilpons "victims" of the Madoff ponzi scheme? :p

Gah! Another Rangers' pitcher lays 30+ points on me. The people of Houston should be ashamed of the Astros....
They are. And Another great outing for the Rangers!
Money Ball? :D

Can't wait for the home opener tomorrow. Derek Holland takes the mound and Josh Hamilton returns to town. Should be fun. I'm not happy about the super early start though. First pitch is 1:05. Way too early for the opener. That only gives us like, 4 hours tailgating and drinking beer!

Money Ball? :D

I doubt that the Astros are working off of a money ball model. Their roster is filled with cheap has beens and bit role players. Here, take a look:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/roster/_/name/hou/houston-astros

Everything I've read on the Astros this year has said they're working on the Tampa Bay model. However unlike Tampa Bay, the Astros are in a real market capable of supporting a team and their minor league system is barren. It will take years for top picks to peculate through the system to the major league level.

So I've been bird dogging Jose "papa grande" Valverde since he's been unemployed this off season...The Tigers (IMO) made a smart move by bringing Valverde back on a Minor league deal-they get a ton of upside for very little risk.

I think Valverde will be back up in the Show closing games for the Motor City Bengals before the month is up! What say you fellas?

Home opener yesterday was awesome!!! Great game and a win to boot. And to top it all off, Hamilton got a homecoming he will never forget! Talk **** about us, bless you! Hahaha in his press conference after the game, he compared the game to "jesus' rejection upon his return to Nazareth" ****** bag!

Well the injury bug is already starting to deplete me. Freese, Aramis Ramirez and now Freddie Freeman are all on the 15 day DL. Such is the bread of a baseball life.

Sooo anyone want to trade? :)

Well the injury bug is already starting to deplete me. Freese, Aramis Ramirez and now Freddie Freeman are all on the 15 day DL. Such is the bread of a baseball life.

Sooo anyone want to trade? :)

Sorry to hear the injury plague has hit you. We all have been there before...I am grateful for you dropping Matt Carpenter as I wanted to draft him but you beat me to it!

I was actually really excited about having Carpenter, but he was my last man in and when Kimbrel became available it was a difficult no brainer. Definitely wish I had him now, with my injuries all at 3B and 1B, but wouldn't change my thought process at all.

I was actually really excited about having Carpenter, but he was my last man in and when Kimbrel became available it was a difficult no brainer. Definitely wish I had him now, with my injuries all at 3B and 1B, but wouldn't change my thought process at all.

I'm pretty sure Othon would give you Carpenter for Kimbrel.
:D

I've been without Braun (who has a pain in the neck) for three days and Simmons for two (thumb).

Anyone else feel like we're short a bench spot?

I feel short at a lot of spots. And the injury plague killed me today. In my other league, i had 3 players go on the DL. Its not much better in our league. Lots of injuries. This sucks!

I've been without Braun (who has a pain in the neck) for three days and Simmons for two (thumb).

Anyone else feel like we're short a bench spot?

YES! I'd love another bench spot or two...or even better would be a "prospect" keeper spot that could work like the DL...to activate the prospect, you'd have to drop another bench player...Injuries happen all year to everyone and it'd be great to have an extra bench spot to plug one one in.

We have the same number of slots as normal. I would prefer not to get more slots. It will make for a less interesting season.

Baseball is very much a game of "what have you done for me lately" with 162 games played per season, you're bound to be on both sides of the fence when it comes to happiness and heartache. One of the reasons I love the game!

That being said, a prospect spot would work IMO as it would free up a player to be kept in reserve on the bench. BoSox Dave has a good point, but I wonder if he had Wil Myers grabbing pine on his team, would he be in favor of of my idea ;)

I would think that you would not be in favor of your own point. I would still have Matt Carpenter if we had an extra bench slot.

Your other point is something that I have noticed and been interested by since the draft. I think that in this league we are seeing the result of the year of Trout and Harper. Last year the only top prospect that was drafted in our league and was guaranteed to start in the minors was Harper. I picked up Trout right before he was called up. This year there were 5 players drafted in our league that are guaranteed to start in the minors: Wil Myers, Travis d'Arnaud, Jurickson Profar, Trevor Bauer, and Zach Wheeler.

There are a lot of different points of view on this and none of them are more correct than any other. However, what are the odds that all five of those players will be actually worth a keeper slot next year, based upon what they have done this year and knowing that we only have 7 keepers per year? Further, you have to take that probability and figure out if it is worth losing 1-3 months - or more - of a usable slot for this season just to see how they hack it in the bigs.

All in all, I have no idea whether it makes sense in our league to sit on a prospect, I have chosen not to...but then again, it may be worth it for this year or the future. Either way, I think a team owner needs to have a downside to holding a prospect.

Latest posts

Back