Keg Connection Problem (literally)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrybwerd

Reaction score
So I finally got around to having three beers on tap and quickly found out the outlet connection (liquid) for ball-lock kegs has a leak. :(

At first I thought it was too full and/or over carbonated, but I pulled off the line from keg #1 and worked like a charm.

I guess to better explain what is happening, I'll go through my thought process step by step.
Carbed up the beer. Turned gas line off, released pressure, dialed down to serving pressure, turned gas line back on. Tried to connect liquid line, but beer starts slowly spewing out. Freaked out, I pulled it off immediately. Shook it clean and looked for anything out of place, then tried again. Same thing happens, but I notice beer is coming out in two places: the back/top of the connection, and from the inside. This tells me it isn't down far enough to "lock" on the post. Pull it off again and turn off gas to reduce foaming, try again. This time it only leaks out of the top/back part. Having run out of things to try, I pull the fluid line off an almost empty keg 1 and voila: works flawlessly.

Any idea what is happening here? I ordered everything from kegconnection, so do I need to contact them to send me a new connection, or is this something I can troubleshoot myself?:confused:

Keg Connection is a good company, as per their quick response. I'm pretty sure they pressure test so usually it's fine. The good news is that there are only a few parts to each disconnect. Absolute worst case, just replace the 5 or 6 little parts. But probably there isn't something set right, an o-ring is bad, or it just needs a little o-ring lube. Are you sure the liquid side is actually a liquid? Liquid and gas sides are not the same, they look almost the same but the posts are a little different. You can even jam a disconnect on the wrong side and it 'fits' but .. it doesn't.

If the post are correct then from what you are saying I would change the o-ring out on the post and put some lube on it. Hopefully a 50 cent fix. :) good luck!

@funkadelicturkey - thanks for posting that! I'll take it apart tonight and see if anything is off.

@sniperd - no doubt! They forgot to include the tap handles on my order, so I called them up and asked where they were and they overnighted me all three handles! Yes, I am positive the liquid side is liquid. As I mentioned earlier, swapping to a different line worked just fine, so it is something with that specific connection.

I will take the connection apart tonight and swap out the o-ring - will let y'all know if it works! Any idea if the o-rings KegConnection sent with their kits are the right ones to use inside the Quick Disconnect? Or are they the same size on the QD as on the keg post?

I also had an issue with one of my kegs from them but they handled it perfect. A liquid out post was damaged (lip above the o-ring was dented down severely)and I couldn't get the QC to lock on. They sent a new outpost but I still had the problem. Turns out the poppet spring would not compress enough to let the quick connect lock on. After cutting a little off the poppet spring it works fine now.

I got a bad liquid QD once. Probably a QC problem at the factory. It was just defective. When I hooked it up I got a really nice beer shower. Swapped it out and that took care of the problem.

Well, I just took it apart and noticed there was not an o-ring installed! So I added one from the pack they send with their kits, and couldn't get the sucker to screw back together! I tried two different sized o-rings, and neither one would screw the cap back down tightly.

I decided to go for broke and tried it on my third keg that's almost empty. Surprisingly, NO LEAKS!! However, the cap is still concerning.

Attached is a photo of one of my correct QDs, and the other two are the misaligned one. Any suggestions for fixing this? Is it worth contacting Keg Connection, or is this something I should be able to deal with for beer after beer after beer?

Thanks!

post2.jpg

post-1.jpg

post3.jpg

You want a flat gasket not a round o-ring for this seal. Though apparently an o-ring works ok too in a pinch.

I believe @KegWrangler and @Monster Mash are correct - I am using the wrong o-ring! I just gave Keg Connection a call and they are sending me a replacement.

:mug: Cheers for the help and great customer service!

Back