Steeping Grain Substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobot

Reaction score
So I visit my LHBS with the intention of duplicating an extract recipe that turned out great for me. In that recipe, I used 1 lb. of Belgian Caramel Pils as a steeping grain. I confessed to the sole LHBS attendant that I couldn't tell a grain that required mashing from a grain that was simply used for steeping.
I bought, crushed, and brought home 1 lb. of Cargill Caramel 20l as a recommended substitution for the Belgian Caramel Pils. (I was also advised to steep only 1/2 lb, not the full lb. --5 gal. batch-- )
Did I screw up? Is this grain good for steeping only? Should I attempt, for the first time, to mash it? And, if suitable for steeping, why not use the full lb.?
Thanks!

No you're fine, crystal/caramel malts are all good for steeping. Caramel pils is usually in the 6-8 L range, so he may have said use half the C-20 to match the color. You could go with the whole lb just will be a little darker than you made before. What kind of beer are you making?

No you're fine, crystal/caramel malts are all good for steeping. Caramel pils is usually in the 6-8 L range, so he may have said use half the C-20 to match the color. You could go with the whole lb just will be a little darker than you made before. What kind of beer are you making?

I guess you could call it an IPA, it's 7% abv, and aggresively hopped. The original recipe used 1oz of chinook @60,
1oz simcoe, and 1 oz cascade @10,
1oz simcoe, and 1oz cascade @0,
and a dry hop of the same, 1oz. simcoe, and 1oz cascade.

I told the store dude that I would like to back off on the simcoe, and he suggested using 1/2 oz additions rather than full oz's.
He also convinced me to try zythos hops in my dry hop.

As far as color, I'm shooting for lighter.
Thanks for the response!
:mug:

Looks yummy as is, but since you've brewed it before sounds like you have a handle on the changes you want to make. A half lb of the C-20 should work fine.
:mug:

Back