Farmhouse IPA w/Brett....first time use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheEpicT

Reaction score
Hello all!
Looking for a bit of advice. This will be my first time using brett and wanted to see if this whole idea sounds workable. So the beer we are brewing is a Farmhouse IPA of sorts. We will be using Wyeast 3711 in the primary and hopping generously using mosaic and galaxy. A 15 lbs malt bill heavy on belgian pale. Then after primary we want to drop into a secondary add pineapple and oak cubes that have been soaked in Grand Marnier then pitch the brett into that. Have it sit in the secondary for a month or so and then bottle condition for another month or two. This sounds like it could be great but theory over workability are different. Any advice or strains of brett to use would be great.

Sounds like it will be similar to Flying Dog's in de Wildeman, or at least similar style. Very tasty brew. There is the White Labs American Farmhouse Blend yeast that consists of a traditional farmhouse yeast and Brett blend.

Sounds like it will be similar to Flying Dog's in de Wildeman, or at least similar style. Very tasty brew. There is the White Labs American Farmhouse Blend yeast that consists of a traditional farmhouse yeast and Brett blend.

Sweet that is a good idea. I will have to look into that yeast. De Wildeman is a great beer so if I'm in the ball park that would be nice

Hello all!
Looking for a bit of advice. This will be my first time using brett and wanted to see if this whole idea sounds workable. So the beer we are brewing is a Farmhouse IPA of sorts. We will be using Wyeast 3711 in the primary and hopping generously using mosaic and galaxy. A 15 lbs malt bill heavy on belgian pale. Then after primary we want to drop into a secondary add pineapple and oak cubes that have been soaked in Grand Marnier then pitch the brett into that. Have it sit in the secondary for a month or so and then bottle condition for another month or two. This sounds like it could be great but theory over workability are different. Any advice or strains of brett to use would be great.
you're mixing a LOT of flavors in there: intense hops, saison yeast, pineapple, oak, GM... and finally brett. could be awesome, or could be a hot muddled mess. personally, i would drop the GM and the pineapple (jamil z backs me on the fact that pineapple doesn't work well with hops, the only batch he's ever dumped was a pineapple IPA). i suspect you're suffering from newbiekitchensinkitis. we've all been there. remedy: realization that more isn't always more. you can only taste so many flavors at the same time before they become indistinguishable (at which point, you need to ask yourself: why did i bother with all those ingredients if i can't even taste them?)

brett will require several months to work it's magic, during that time the hops will fade... so using fancy expensive hops like mosaic and galaxy is a bit of a waste. you'll get flavor contributions from them, but not as much as if you did a non-brett beer that you could drink within weeks of pitching, instead of months.

Hello all!

I have had great luck with the WLP 670 American Farmhouse blend. Brewed numerous batches with it. Gives just enough of both yeast types. But honestly, I'd give anything other than 100% Brett more than two months. I bulk age mine with wlp 670 2-6 months, and I consider that short.

All great points and the more I think about it makes a lot of sense. Maybe keeping it in the regular farmhouse IPA area is the best route. Especially since those 2 hops are pretty sweet by themselves plus with some nice farmhouse yeast should be great. Thanks for the advice!

you're mixing a LOT of flavors in there: intense hops, saison yeast, pineapple, oak, GM... and finally brett. could be awesome, or could be a hot muddled mess. personally, i would drop the GM and the pineapple (jamil z backs me on the fact that pineapple doesn't work well with hops, the only batch he's ever dumped was a pineapple IPA). i suspect you're suffering from newbiekitchensinkitis. we've all been there. remedy: realization that more isn't always more. you can only taste so many flavors at the same time before they become indistinguishable (at which point, you need to ask yourself: why did i bother with all those ingredients if i can't even taste them?)

brett will require several months to work it's magic, during that time the hops will fade... so using fancy expensive hops like mosaic and galaxy is a bit of a waste. you'll get flavor contributions from them, but not as much as if you did a non-brett beer that you could drink within weeks of pitching, instead of months.

All great points and the more I think about it makes a lot of sense. Maybe keeping it in the regular farmhouse IPA area is the best route. Especially since those 2 hops are pretty sweet by themselves plus with some nice farmhouse yeast should be great. Also yes I'm definitely at the stage where I want to throw everything in there and see what happens.:D Thanks for the advice!

3711 is one of my favorite yeasts but i make a belgian blonde with it and did not like it at all, dumped it in fact. the recipe and hopping was simple but that yeast puts out it's saison flavors and it did not suit my tastes in anything other than a saison. sante adarius ales out of capitola make a farmhouse ale but they ferment with chico then add brett c, it's a huge hit for them.

Back