First time mead maker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIron

Reaction score
Hello, all
I've been lurking around the forum for a few months, and have made about six liters of mead since finding this place...the first batch was a knock-off of JAOM, the second batch was by-the-book JAOM. Both ended kinda harsh, but I never topped off my carboy after I started, and didn't allow it to age properly...the second batch is currently hiding in my wife's cabinet.
Started a couple of new batches tonight, tinkering around a bit...if it don't work, then I reckon I just learned two ways not to make mead, right? If this batch works, I'm gonna dive in deeper, start using wine or mead yeast, get fancy...

'A few months' is nothing in the mead world. Leave your JOAM for a few months, start a couple more batches and make something low abv you can drink while you wait :) this hobby is addictive

Oh, yeah...it's definitely addictive. I actually don't really drink...never developed a taste for beer or liquor, but I love honey, and any way I can come up with to eat more honey, I'm all about!
One of the two professional meads I've had was nice and sweet, and I really enjoyed it. If I can get that flavor, I'll be a happy man indeed...

Wow...talk about vigorous bubbling...I thought I'd left enough room to allow for it, but the foam has nearly gotten out of control...but only on one bottle. Hoping none of the fruit blocks the hole, because if a bottle blows up, my wife'll kill me!

Of course, I'd image I'd blow a seal somewhere before the bottle broke, but I'd still be in hot water!

Yes, it is! I have a little from my first batch that I'm drinking, saving my second with hopes it will be as wonderful as I expect it to be.
Of course, I actually don't care to drink much...never acquired a taste for beer or liquor, let alone wine...but I absolutely LOVE honey, and any way I can come up with to get more honey in my system I'm gonna try. I've had two professional meads-one was very dry, and disappointing, the other was sweet, and heavenly. The second one is what I'm going for...

I just checked my bottles... One is bubbling away nicely, the other has foamed up and blown all the water outta my airlock-I've removed it and replaced it with a tube running into a milk jug full of water. Thought I gave it plenty of room, but I guess I was wrong...

Hello, all
I've been lurking around the forum for a few months, and have made about six liters of mead since finding this place...the first batch was a knock-off of JAOM, the second batch was by-the-book JAOM. Both ended kinda harsh, but I never topped off my carboy after I started, and didn't allow it to age properly...the second batch is currently hiding in my wife's cabinet.
Started a couple of new batches tonight, tinkering around a bit...if it don't work, then I reckon I just learned two ways not to make mead, right? If this batch works, I'm gonna dive in deeper, start using wine or mead yeast, get fancy...

Pick a copy of this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381802/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
It will really help. I have a copy on my bookshelf & still use it from time to time.
Regards, GF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back