First Fruit Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLRAB

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing a Peach Wheat this weekend and am using puree for the first time. I know there are probably plenty of threads on this but I don't have time to research.

If I am not mistaken, I should let wort ferment out then add puree to secondary. My main question is what to do with secondary? Meaning, should I:

1) Add puree first then add beer with out stirring and let puree sit at bottom, I know oxygen is not my friend at this point.
2) Add puree then beer and GENTLY stir to mix puree into beer
3) Add beer first then puree, with or with out stirring

I understand that there will be another fermentation process with the fruit but wasn't sure if that would be enough to encorporate peach through out the beer.

Thank you all for you help!

Drinking:
Bavarian Bronze
OktoBier Fest
Orange Summer Ale
Lemon Summer Slammer

Fermenting:
none :(

On Deck:
Peach Wheat
Luck O' the Irish Stout (I know a little late to be brewing stout but it's my favorite and don't mind having one in the summer)

I haven't actually made one of these yet but everything I've read is that u siphon it onto the fruit in the secondary without stirring.

I've also been told freezing it ahead of time before blending it into a puree is beneficial too, breaks down the cell walls and releases flavors and what not.

I just rack onto the fruit when using purees or juice, no additional mixing needed. If you're using those Oregon/Vintner's purees you can just dump it in as is.

I made a dry dock apricot blonde kit that had me add the purée to the primary two or three days into fermentation. The sugars in the purée reamp the yeast. I did add apricot extract at bottling as well. the purée gives it a decent base flavor. The addition at bottling gives it an added bump of tartness and aroma. Peach has a bit more sweetness. I've done peach as well. Used 5 lbs in end of boil for 30 minutes at 170 degrees to pasteurize. I've also tried it in the secondary. The flavor and aroma from the fresh fruit is apparent but mild. You just need to be cautious at bottling if you add essences/concentrates/flavoring. They can quickly make it super sweet or cough syrup like.

Whenever I do fruit beers, I primary for a week or so, rack onto the fruit for a week of secondary, and then rack off the fruit and into a cold crash just to get any floaters out, Which has worked out real well for me. I have tried throwing fruit into primary when pitching the yeast, and the blowoff smells amazing but the beer doesn't seem to retain the flavors as much.

I have a fruit beer question as well. I see most people use a tertiary after secondary fermentation to clear there beer up. So would it work to ferment in my ferment bucket, rack to bottle bucket to secondary, then re-rack to 6.5 gallon fermenter to tertiary? I have no other buckets, but figure I could use bottling bucket since I am racking out of it again anyway. And would 6.5 gallons be too big of a vessel for tertiary? Thanks!

Ive never used a bottling bucket for secondary/tertiary, but I see no reason not to. Just be really careful and make sure the inside of the spigot is clean and sanitized. As far as headspace, I've tertiary'd in buckets with no problem, I just wouldn't leave it in there for too long- 7-10 days for me.

Latest posts

Back