Refractormeter vs Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eluterio

Reaction score
Have a question about this subject. I borrowed a Refract from a friend and had some fun with it. Of course when your brewing with new equipment you like to test it out and see how it works.

First batch I did came had equal reading! Excited however, second batch a week later refract read 1.064 after boil and pre pitch yeast but the Hydro read 1.060 at 60 degrees???? Does anyone know why there was a difference between both reading or could it be possible my hyrdo is off? I tested my hydro months back to make sure its accurate and it was Ill do it again and see if my result are the same. I would like to note on my first batch they were the same!

Thanks anyone

Edit: misread your post, but the sample may have just been a bit too hot when you checked it. The refractometers usually have ATC (automatic temperature correction) but that's for the ambient temperature not the sample temperature. Are you letting the sample cool before checking it?

Refractometers do not work once you've added yeast and fermentation has begun, because it uses the refraction of light by sugar in water to determine the density (gravity) of the fluid. Alcohol has a very different refractive index than water, so it messes things up.

Regractometers are great for taking mash gravities, preboil, and OG readings. For FG readings (anything after fermentation has started) you'll need a hydrometer to be accurate.

There are calculators you can use to get a guess at what the FG of a beer is using a refractometer, but I'm not a fan of any of them. Stick with your hydrometer for post fermentation readings.

Did you check the calibration of the refractometer with distilled water?

Latest posts

Back