Brett C. Funky flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullenium

Reaction score
My batch of 100% Brett C has been going for 2 weeks, og was 1.074 now 1.020

Flavor is like a rotting dates or a weird off funky flavor like something spoiled, kinda fruity rotten flavor tho like dates or banana

Is that normal? I did under pitch big time, and temps have been 68 to 70

Leave it alone. :p

If you underpitched, expect a long attenuation and more traditionally "brett" flavor/aroma.

Leave it alone. :p

If you underpitched, expect a long attenuation and more traditionally "brett" flavor/aroma.

My plan is to leave it for another 2 weeks and take another reading, you think if the flavor is the same then maybe some tart cherry concentrate would do the trick?

I leave Brett beers alone for a LOOOONG time. At least a couple of months. They just take longer than normal beers. Forget about it for a while and I bet it comes around.

I think tart cherry concentration will work either way, but brett C has always been clean for me. how much did you pitch?

I leave Brett beers alone for a LOOOONG time. At least a couple of months. They just take longer than normal beers. Forget about it for a while and I bet it comes around.

brett secondary I agree, but 100% brett (like this is) isn't much longer than sacch. mine are always done in 2-4 weeks

I think tart cherry concentration will work either way, but brett C has always been clean for me. how much did you pitch?

brett secondary I agree, but 100% brett (like this is) isn't much longer than sacch. mine are always done in 2-4 weeks

I made a 2L starter out of a vial of White Labs, and left it for 24 hours shaking the hell out of it every now and then.

Pitched the entire 2L, but I should have probably left it longer than 24hrs (probably a week?) and stepped it up to a full 4L/Gallon

ya 24 hours wasn't long enough, you may have essentially pitched a vial into the batch. 2L would've been short anyway, but it woulda worked. it's probably just coinicidence, but C has always been a slower starter for me than other brett.

I have read several sources, including the brewers up at Crooked Stave who do a lot of brett beers, that brett starters need more along the lines of a week to hit peak growth.

Latest posts

Back