Force carb tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrickyDick

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey,

My wife informed me that "we" are hosting a party next weekend.

I made some beer I'd like to have on tap, but its sort of short notice.

The beer is (almost) all in kegs - ran out of CO2 - long story, but new cylinder will be here at 5PM. I'm working tonight, so have to do this tomorrow - 1 week before party time.

Now, this beer was made in March, has been in primary and racked to secondary for variable periods of time. Age wise since brew day (multiple batches brewed over two week period) it'll be either 5 or 6 weeks old by party time.

The 6 week old beer was in primary for 7 days, then racked to secondary for 4 weeks then kegged (pressurized with beer mix CO2-NO2 but on continuous pressure - gotta install fittings in new serving fridge.
The 5 week old beer was in primary for 3 weeks, then racked to secondary for 1 week, then kegged. Spring break, and fermentation vessel logistics at work here.
I think maturity wise, it's probably good to go.

Anyways, to get to the point of my post, finally, when I've forced carbed in past, I just set it and forget it. This time, I will only have a week to get up to carb (typically would take 14-20 days or so the old way.)

Fridge set to 34 degrees. I've checked and Beersmith says for 2.3 volumes, use 7.3 PSI. Now is there a way for the carbonation to proceed faster?
I read the sticky post (granted not all 680 replies) It suggested 24 hours on 3x target PSI (21.9), then bleed multiple times after adjusting PSI to target after first day. I'm not interested in shaking, or diffusion stones.

I'm half inclined to just set it and forget it, but wanted to hear from any with experience in doing this faster.

TD

aWhat I do when I"m in a hurry (and with a week, you have plenty of time) is to set the beer at 30 psi in the kegerator for 36 hours if the beer isn't already cold. If it's already cold, it goes in at 30 psi for 24 hours.

After 24 hours (or 36 if starting with warm beer), I purge and reset to my regular pressure. For me, that's 12 psi at 40 degrees.

I did just this on Tuesday, and was drinking a slightly undercarbed beer last night. In a couple more days, it will be just right!

Since you have a week, I wouldn't shake or do anything except the higher pressure at the beginning for 24-36 hours, then purge and let sit for the next 5 days. It should be perfect!

Yooper said:
aWhat I do when I"m in a hurry (and with a week, you have plenty of time) is to set the beer at 30 psi in the kegerator for 36 hours if the beer isn't already cold. If it's already cold, it goes in at 30 psi for 24 hours.

After 24 hours (or 36 if starting with warm beer), I purge and reset to my regular pressure. For me, that's 12 psi at 40 degrees.

I did just this on Tuesday, and was drinking a slightly undercarbed beer last night. In a couple more days, it will be just right!

Since you have a week, I wouldn't shake or do anything except the higher pressure at the beginning for 24-36 hours, then purge and let sit for the next 5 days. It should be perfect!

That sounds like a good plan.
Do you purge multiple times or just the once when resetting pressure?

TD

Here's what I have done in the past and been fairly successful with:
Get the kegs in the fridge, hook up the C02 and set at ~35 psi. No shaking or anything. Leave it be for 36 - 48 hours after the beer reaches fridge temps, so start that timer 12 hours or so after putting in the fridge. Then bleed back to serving temperature. This works fairly well in my experience. Its not exact, but it will get the job done. That leaves you with about 4 or 5 days to allow the C02 blend and moderate some. Good luck man!

TD
Personally, I don't purge at all. The small amount of gas in the head space of a full keg at 30psi will not affect the overall volumes much as long as no new CO2 is coming in. I just dial back the regulator after 24 hours and let it come to equilibrium at serving pressure and temperature.

TD

Just once- you want the carb level, but if you aren't super careful you can get backflow into your regulator if you don't purge first. Check valves help, of course, so if you have them you don't have to worry. but even so, regulators are expensive!

Haha, Yooper beat me to it. He's right on though.

Thanks, 'cept I'm a girl! I'm a "she". :p

Personally, I don't purge at all. The small amount of gas in the head space of a full keg at 30psi will not affect the overall volumes much as long as no new CO2 is coming in. I just dial back the regulator after 24 hours and let it come to equilibrium at serving pressure and temperature.

That works fine, but as I noted I have had some issues with me having a higher pressure in the keg than in my regulator and then beer came back through the beerline into my regulator. I always purge now, when changing the pressure. If that's not an issue for others (check valves and being smarter than me!), then no need to purge.

By the way, AnOldUR, your new avatar is awesome. She's beautiful!

That works fine, but as I noted I have had some issues with me having a higher pressure in the keg than in my regulator and then beer came back through the beerline into my regulator.

By the way, AnOldUR, your new avatar is awesome. She's beautiful!
Check valves not working?

She is beautiful, but can be a little devil.
That's the great thing about grandkids.
They go home after you spoil them.
:p

Check valves not working?

She is beautiful, but can be a little devil.
That's the great thing about grandkids.
They go home after you spoil them
:p

Well, I thought the check valves were working! But I now know how to take apart and clean a regulator and replace the diaphragm!

I have my little guy tonight for a couple of hours. He's awesome and very gentle and compliant. I have a feeling his little brother (due in July) will not be the same!

Yoop!!!!
Your not supposed to know the sex till it pops out. You are takin all of the fun out of it, not to mention messing up the pool..... I love sugaring mine up and sending em home to their dad. Kind of a payback for all those sleepless nights he brought to the house all the way through his teens and low 20's. At 25 he calmed down so I can only get away with it sometimes.....
Wheelchair Bob

30 psi for 48 hours gets me pretty close then a few days go finish if i am looking for 2- 2.5 volumes.

Sometimes all i get for a warning from old grandad is when she walks in the door wearing the krispy kreme hat

thanks.

I put some of the kegs on gas last night after work set to 35 psi. Fridge set to 34, beer was 74 degrees. 2:30 AM Sunday start. Fridge is setup for six kegs dispense, but it can fit 9. Right now 7 cornies, and two commercial 1/6 bbl sanke kegs. When those kick ill carb up the other kegs, and try to get the seventh keg carbonated too.

Some say 48 hours, some say 36 hours at 35 psi. I think with my 34 temp I'm gonna stick to 36 hours and then go down to target setting.
I think I'll taste test it the morning before I'm planning to serve it and see where it stands.

Let y'all know how it works for me!

Exciting to be back brewing again. This'll be first batch in a long time! Only made one brew in 2012, and three in 2011. Had unexpected time off in early march and made 9 brews, and planning another for next weekend. Looking to get into lagers, since I can easily stuff a few kegs into cooler for lagering between the six kegs on tap

TD

Back