Yeast Propagation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skepace

Reaction score
Morning. So I am trying some new things with brewing and one is yeast propagation.

So I just racked a Pale Ale using Wyeast California Ale Yeast and after the beer was in secondary, I poured the yeast cake into 4 Mason jars. Then I placed it in the fridge.

Did I do it correctly so I can reuse the yeast in the Pale Ale I am going to make again this week?

Thanks.

Yup mine settle out to about half beer and half yeast. One thing I do that helps with the trub is pour the wort through a strainer bag into the fermenter. I also secondary whenever I harvest the yeast just so I can get it into the fridge sooner.

I know the weird feeling just before you dump it into the beer man. Wondering if it is going to work or if it is infected. Just remember as long as your process of harvesting it was good and everything sanitized it will work and be fine.

Oh and mark the top of the jar with the type of yeast it is. Trust me you will forget once you get several different yeasts going on

I have used it up to 2 months later and it was fine but you should be aware I brew low gravity beer. If you brew a high gravity beer I would think about a starter.

One of the vendors here on the site wrote up a great article on yeast slurry. I wish I could remember his name for you

Back