What beer, if any, would you age at room temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gixxer

Reaction score
I know that belgians and some other beers are happy to age at cellar temps, 55° and the like, but are there any beers that age well at room temp 72°?

I have a couple stouts and a couple porters that will hit their peak flavor at 3 months at room temp and will retain that flavor for many months after that still at room temp. My pale ales, however, lose their wonderful aroma in a couple months.

thinking any IPA would store/age well at room temps.
i mean the style was created for the half world trip to india on a 18th century sailing ship with no A/C and the drank cargo hole at stifling temps.

in a home where the temp is between 78-82 during the summer (A/C), i would think any stout or porter, or strong ale would do okay.

further considering, probably any beer that could be served from a cask thru a beer engine would qualify for ambient temp saging in my opinion......

age -on!

GD:mug:

thinking any IPA would store/age well at room temps.
i mean the style was created for the half world trip to india on a 18th century sailing ship with no A/C and the drank cargo hole at stifling temps.

in a home where the temp is between 78-82 during the summer (A/C), i would think any stout or porter, or strong ale would do okay.

further considering, probably any beer that could be served from a cask thru a beer engine would qualify for ambient temp saging in my opinion......

age -on!

The IPA thing is a myth. There is no evidence that suggests the IPA was created for the trip to India. Read Mitch Steeles New book IPA. The ipas they drank back then we're slightly sour and mega hopped so that the hop character didn't dissipate over the lengthy trip.

No beer should be aged at room temp.

Fair enough... So I will keep my special-to-me beers in the fridge till I find another means of beer storage.

Cellar temp lots of beers age well, at room temp for a short time I would say most Imperials, stouts porters, dubbels and trippels would benefit. Over a long period of time though I would do cellar temps instead.

What's 'room temp'?

When I lived in the pacific northwest my room temp was probably somewhere between 58-64*F. Here in Puerto Rico my room temp is 72-74* and that's running my air conditioning 24/7 (thank god for having free utilities). My laundry room is probably 80-82*.

None - aging beer sux. I've had zero positive experiences aging beer.

None - aging beer sux. I've had zero positive experiences aging beer.

you kidding? I've got 3 commercial beers that I bought yesterday at a brewery, bottled January 5th 2012, December 18 2011, and november 3 2011.

I have in my basement 20+ Belgians, sours, and imperial ales some as old as 8 years.

Beer ages just fine if you don't just drink hop bombs.

Nope.I'd rather drink fresh, I'd rather drink the beer that the brewer presented. I've aged a bunch of beer and had terrible results - lost $100's of dollars-never would age a beer again.

I started brewing a barleywine at the end of the year in '08. I haven't had any refrigeration for them until this year, so it all sat in a closet, basically, until recently. The '08 is long gone, but I had one of the last bottles of '09 a little while ago and it was FANtastic... couldn't believe how good it was.

Aging is just another variable, you can do it at whatever temp you like. If you age at 34, it'll take effect slower than if you age at 50, and 50 will be slower than 68. Do what you can, and drink what you can't.

I would be miserable if my house was 78-82 with the a/c on during the summer.

ah it's not too bad. 78-80 is more like it when we do use the A/C/ in late try to hold out till the 2nd week in june,...if we can make it! 78-80 a/c treated room is MUCH better than outside in 87% + humidity at 98-100' ambient air temps. i guess it's all what a person is use to and how fat his wallet is......cheers

From what I have read, just like wine, you need the right conditions to properly age beer. 72 would be too warm to truly age any beer correctly.

The IPA thing is a myth. There is no evidence that suggests the IPA was created for the trip to India. Read Mitch Steeles New book IPA. The ipas they drank back then we're slightly sour and mega hopped so that the hop character didn't dissipate over the lengthy trip.

No beer should be aged at room temp.

thank you for the clue on the IPA.......hmmmm...." The ipas they drank back then we're slightly sour and mega hopped so that the hop character didn't dissipate over the lengthy trip."

your last remark is what i was referring to about the half world trip in the cargo hold of a ship.... extensively hopped so the beer would survive the long trip intact taste wise as hops also preserves from stale ale a common problem in the day when all ale was served at room temps.
usually myths are truths that have been clouded by time.....most have a basis of truth as does folklore.

cheers:)

Nope.I'd rather drink fresh, I'd rather drink the beer that the brewer presented. I've aged a bunch of beer and had terrible results - lost $100's of dollars-never would age a beer again.

What beers (either style or a certain beer) specifically? Where did you age them? What where the conditions (temp, sunlight, etc...)?

A lot of commercial brewers will age their beers before releasing them, so the idea that "aging beer sux" is, in my opinion, a bit ignorant. People have been using aging as a technique to improve beer flavor for centuries. It is pretty well researched and documented that aging does improve certain beer styles.

If you're having "zero positive experiences" with aging beer, it probably means you're not providing the proper conditions, or aging beers that don't benefit from it. If you age a well-brewed barleywine in a temp-controlled environment at a relatively cool temperature, it will probably benefit from extended aging. If, on the other hand, you age a double IPA in the back seat of your car in the summer, it will turn out badly after just a few hours.

To make this more on topic: I would say any beer you would normally age will still benefit from aging even at a warmer temp, it just will occur faster and won't store as long. I aged an imperial stout for a year in the bottle in a dark closet that sees temps from 78* in the summer to 62* in the winter. I had one just yesterday and it was delicious. Room temperature aging isn't a deal-breaker for your beer.

Latest posts

Back