4 weeks in primary ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ME_Brewski

Reaction score
I've gotten pretty busy lately and my nut Brown ale extract kit is going on 4 weeks in primary. I assume it is perfectly fine and maybe even better with the 2 extra weeks. Is this true?

ME_Brewski said:
I've gotten pretty busy lately and my nut Brown ale extract kit is going on 4 weeks in primary. I assume it is perfectly fine and maybe even better with the 2 extra weeks. Is this true?

Yeah it'll be fine.

well you want at least three weeks in primary (if you dont go to secondary) so one week extra should be fine. make time to bottle it today and it should taste great if you did everything else right!

Due to unforeseen circumstances I had my most recent brew in the primary for 9 weeks. Tasted just fine going into the keg. I'll be tapping it this weekend.

My Maori IPA needed a bit of extra time for the US-05 to knock off the last couple points.Dry hopped last Saturday. This coming Saturday when it gets bottled,it'll be 1 day shy of 6 weeks in primary. That last couple points messed me up. Woulda been nice to have bottled on 5/12,so I coulda sample a couple at nearly three weeks for Memorial day. Oh well,can't rush goodness.

1 month is my minimum before bottling or kegging for the majority of my beers.

I go 6 weeks primary typically.

I was perusing the stickies and did not see a "schedule" for fermentation. I know the 'secondary or not' has been pretty well hammered here :) [thanks for that!] and the old homebrew store instructions of 1 week primary, 1 week secondary, 2 weeks bottles are just poor instructions that could lead to bottle bombs :), but is there a "here's the correct schedule, approved by homebrewers like Revvy and cheezydemon (who get award winning results)" sticky anywhere? Do these schedules fit all beers? Hefe's, actual secondary fermentation, sours, et al may have different schedules, I'd assume.

Basically,bigger beers take longer to ferment. Hefe's & other wheat beers are said to be the fastest,but not always. Their are no hard & fast rule charts to follow. Beer is like pit bbq...it's done when it's done.

Okay, I figured it would be okay. I just like to make sure. Should be bottling it tomorrow, then hopefully drinking in about three weeks! Thanks!

For all Medium to low alcohol beers, my schedule is 6 weeks primary, keg it and carb.

For a BIG beer, I will 6 weeks in secondary, up to 4 months secondary, keg and carb.

IPA's get 3 weeks primary, keg and carb.

You can sub "bottle 3 weeks warm" for keg and carb.

Back