Heavy yeast taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostie

Reaction score
Need some help with salvaging a beer. I brewed a Kolsch style at the beginning of April, and its come out with a strong yeast flavor.

I fermented in the primary for 2 weeks, then cold crashed for 3 before kegging it and force carbonating. The first day in the fermenter it overflowed, but I had already set up and overflow airlock (pitcher with bromide that the hose ran into). The recipe I was following called for 9 days primary and 1 day cold crashing, but I run out of time during the week. Its been under pressure for 2 weeks now, and the flavor hasn't gotten any better.

Whats the best way to save this beer? Rack to my secondary and then back to the keg? Let it sit in the secondary for another week? Or just tough it out and put more CO2 on it? Thanks.

I would also go with gelatin in the keg. Add some non-flavored (Knox) gelatin to a cup or so of hot water, let it bloom for several minutes, add to beer, drop beer down to 30-ish. I boil the cup in the microwave, let it cool slightly, add 2 tsp of Knox, stir and let sit for 10 minutes.

I've heard that Kolsch yeast does not clear well. I'm curious if that was the yeast used. What were your starting and ending gravities? Are you sure it was finished?

Back